Forum Topics

Financial Vindication For The Mail

Prince Harry and fellow claimants must pay initial £9.5m to Daily Mail after judge rules their doomed hacking case was 'unreasonable to a high degree'The Duke of Sussex, Baroness Lawrence, Sir Elton John and the four others have seven days to pay the first £9,544,355, the High Court ordered.Mr Justice Nicklin granted a rare ‘indemnity order’ obliging the claimants to bear the brunt of the costs of their disastrous legal action. Such orders are usually only granted in cases where a judge believes there has been bad conduct.The judge said: ‘The claims – and the manner in which they were brought, pleaded, pursued, maintained and publicly advanced – involved a combination of circumstances and conduct which took the litigation outside the ordinary and reasonable conduct of civil proceedings.’A spokesman for the Mail's publisher, Associated Newspapers, said: 'His judgment is a devastating critique of an attempt to destroy a newspaper and the reputations of its journalists, editors and executives.'A spokesman for the Mail's publisher, Associated Newspapers, said: 'His judgment is a devastating critique of an attempt to destroy a newspaper and the reputations of its journalists, editors and executives.'The judgment means Associated Newspapers is free to seek a much larger proportion of its costs from the case waged by Harry – who once styled his campaign against newspapers as ‘slaying dragons’ – and the other claimants. They also include Sir Elton’s husband David Furnish, model Elizabeth Hurley, actress Sadie Frost and former Lib Dem minister Sir Simon Hughes.It is a costly blow to the seven claimants, whose insurance policy only covers them for £16.2million.And it does not include their own legal costs, which are thought likely to be at least £20million, although it is understood their lawyers acted, at least in part, on a ‘no-win, no-fee’ basis.After winning the case, the publisher applied for its legal costs to be paid on the fuller ‘indemnity basis’ because Harry’s side had pursued the high-profile case in a ‘cavalier’ and ‘highly unreasonable and inexcusable’ fashion. After comprehensively losing their case last month, the duke and Baroness Lawrence lashed out in an extraordinary public statement that accused the judge of bias and called his ruling ‘a complete and obvious whitewash’.https://mol.im/a/16067837I bet that Harry and Doreen Lawrence (why the hell was she made a Baroness🤷🏻‍♀️) now wish they’d kept their gobs shut.   Especially so Lawrence whose only feelings towards the Mail should only have been those of deep gratitude for the Newspaper’s relentless campaign that brought her Son’s killers to justice.There is now speculation that the journalists whose reputations were trashed by the false claims, may now personally sue the claimants for reputational damages.

Sue Hammond ● 1d8 Comments ● 4h

2 More Illegal Immigrants Convicted Of Rape

Two illegal immigrants raped a woman at knifepoint while she was star gazing in a park during a 'harrowing attack'.Afghanis Khan Agah and Noorullah Ahmdzai treated their victim as an 'object they could use and abuse' on August 16 last year in Barking Park, east London, a court heard.Ahmdzai, 26, raped her while Agah held a Swiss Army-type knife to her date's throat, threatening to kill him if he tried to call the police before the pair switched roles.Prosecutors said the woman was suffocated during the 'petrifying and awful' sex attack 'which left her numb'.The Daily Mail overturned a reporting restriction preventing Agah from being named.During the trial, Agah said he was aged 16 at the time of the attack and is now 17, but court records stated he is 19.The court made a temporary reporting restriction ordering that the press could not name Agah because he could be under 18.But the Daily Mail successfully argued there was a public interest in his name being published.Agah and Ahmdzai were convicted of two counts of rape, two charges of threatening with a knife, as well as one offence of assault by penetration and one of false imprisonment following a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.Agah and Ahmdzai were convicted of two counts of rape, two charges of threatening with a knife, as well as one offence of assault by penetration and one of false imprisonment following a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.https://mol.im/a/16067431These sickening rapes and sexual assaults on children, women and even on an elderly man this week are becoming commonplace and all Burnham can do is have a bloody pointless leaflet published! 🤬

Sue Hammond ● 1d5 Comments ● 1d