Forum Topic

"Why mention the US and not the UK?"Well, nobody's perfect. I think that my mind had blanked it. You are right. "Friday briefing: Why Biden and Starmer are preparing to let Ukraine use western missiles deep inside RussiaIn today’s newsletter: A green light for the use of the Storm Shadow missile has been billed as a defining moment in the war – and Vladimir Putin has threatened that its use “would mean that Nato countries … are at war with Russia”. Is it a risk worth taking?" (Gdn. Today)"There will be no press conference after Biden and Starmer meet today, and no announcement of any change to how Storm Shadow missiles can be used. “It’s being billed as a broad strategic discussion,” Dan Sabbagh said, shortly before joining a flight to Washington with Starmer and foreign secretary David Lammy. “It’s likely that the first explicit sign we’ll have of any change is a loud ‘bang’.”The reticence about the change that now appears close to being signed off is one piece of evidence for how sensitive a subject this is. “Ukraine has been desperate for this to happen for a long time,” Dan said. “But the White House has been grappling with whether it’s an escalatory move. Make no mistake: what you’re talking about here is a change that could take the war to Russia in a meaningful way.”What are Storm Shadow missiles, and why does Ukraine want them?Storm Shadow missiles can hit targets up to 250km from their launch site – meaning that they could strike well within Russian territory. They are powerful enough to penetrate bunkers and ammunition stores and damage airfields, and they can be precisely targeted.They were developed in an Anglo-French collaboration, and manufactured by a joint venture which also involves Italy – and using components supplied by the US. All four countries would have to sign off on any change to the conditions attached to their use, even if they are not the direct suppliers themselves. The missiles in question are expected to be supplied by Britain and France, not the US – but the New York Times reports that a decision could follow about the comparable US ATACMS missiles in the coming weeks."Are the UK/France being used to test the water, before the USA dips her toes?"Was there a man dismayed?"Me, for one.

David Ainsworth ● 44d