Forum Topic

From inews.co.uk - 9 September 2024'Labour’s own analysis said 4,000 pensioners could die if winter fuel payments are cut.The figures were published during the 2017 election campaign, when Jeremy Corbyn led the party.At the time, then-prime minister Theresa May said the payments would be removed from all but the poorest pensioners.The Conservatives indicated they would means-test the payments (as Sir Keir Starmer is now doing) but had not committed to a method of doing so.Labour cited research saying that half of the almost 10,000 decrease in so-called “excess winter deaths” – the rise in mortality that happens each winter – between 2000 and 2012 was because of the introduction of the winter fuel allowance.Deaths among the elderly in winter fell from around 34,000 to 24,000 during this period, according to the report.Then-chancellor John McDonnell said: “The truth about the Tories’ plans for older people in our country needs to be known. Re-electing the Tories will represent the single biggest attack on pensioners in a generation in our country.“Removing the winter fuel payments from millions of pensioners could leave thousands of the most vulnerable at even more risk this winter.“On top of their dementia tax, it means that pensioners in our country will struggle to heat their homes and keep their homes under the Tories.”At the time, the Conservatives rejected the claims and said Labour were “irresponsible scaremongering”.On Sunday, Mr McDonnell was asked if he believed some pensioners “will die” as a result of what Rachel Reeves is proposing, and he told LBC: “Yes. That’s not me speaking.”He said Labour MPs had met with various groups representing older people, including Age UK, which said “this is a real risk” because “we have these excess deaths in winter”.But this of course was before Chancellor Reeves discovered her 'black hole'😉

John Hawkes ● 44d

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13831331/John-McDonnell-Keir-Starmers-new-Government-policies-originally-proposed-Jeremy-Corbyn.htmlThe above speaks for itself.Starmer was a supporter of these policies to get elected leader of the Party but then knowing Corbyn and anything Corbynish was anathema to the general public he dropped them and him.He is a typical lawyer; no deeply held views of his own but a mouthpiece for whatever his client (here it is himself) needs to have said to advance his case.And he and Chancellor Reeves will reward their paymasters from the 'inherited black hole'.Hence train drivers get a pay rise of c.£5K BACKDATED taking their salary to c.£70,000 pa for a 4 day week: yet no promises not to strike.What a rigorous negotiator is Ms Reeves.Hope she is not promoted to replace Lammy as Foreign Secretary as Putin would have a field day.The claim this payment was a good deal because strikes would have been costlier is a bit like saying "I let the burglars into my house as if not I would have had to pay for the repairs of their threated kicking-in of my front door" ! Pensioners of course vote Tory; perhaps a myth but more than likely true for a majority.Wisdom comes with age !So need to worry about offending them.As for our MP Fleur Anderson, she is unlikely to rock the boat as her power base in the Putney constituency I would hazard a guess is made up of the affluent leftie youngish middle classes or the richer retirees for whom the WFP is no more than a weekly shop at Waitrose.And she is on the Ministerial ladder and won't put that at risk.More likely "pull it up Kier; I'm all right".

John Hawkes ● 47d

Scene: the Prime Minister’s office. Keir Starmer, with a red and white scarf around his neck, is reading an Arsenal fanzine. Enter his political advisor.Advisor: Prime Minister, the Chancellor is here to see you.Starmer: Oh, right.Enter Rachel Reeves.Reeves: Prime Minister, I have decided that we are going to cut the winter fuel allowance for most pensioners this winter.Starmer: Oh, why is that?Reeves: Because the Treasury says there will be a run on the pound if we don’t.Starmer: What’s that?Reeves: You know. It’s when foreigners start selling their English money.Starmer: Oh, I see. But didn’t we call it heartless when the Tories suggested cutting the fuel allowance  in the past?Advisor: Don’t worry, Prime Minister. That was several years ago and no one will remember. In any case we can always blame the Tories for getting us into this situation. You know, the black hole and all that.Starmer: Oh yes, I remember now.Reeves: I am afraid there’s no alternative. We have got to find the money to pay off the doctors.Starmer: I think I read in the papers that they are asking for a 35% pay increase. It seems rather a lot to me.Reeves: Well we won’t give them everything they want, of course. We’ll just offer them 22%.Starmer: How am I going to explain that when Laura What’shername asks me about it on TV?Reeves: You just say it’s cheaper to reach a settlement with the doctors than bear the cost of the strikes.Starmer: Well I have always been pro-trade Union. My father was a tool maker, you know.Reeves: I seem to remember your mentioning that.Starmer: But getting back to the winter fuel allowance, won’t some of the Party be upset about the cut? That Fleur Anderson, for example, who I just promoted to the Cabinet. Wasn’t she head of the Methodist Youth Action or something?Advisor: Don’t worry about her. The Whips will tell her that if she votes against the government she will be sitting with Jeremy Corbyn as an independent MP.

Steven Rose ● 47d

There is a discussion to be had about means testing benefits.  If benefits are universal, it is clear that money will sometimes go to people who don’t need it when it should be directed to people who do. But it is clear that Labour’s decision to withhold WFA from pensioners  except those on pension credit is wrong. In the first place there are an estimated 880 000 households in this country which  are entitled to pension credit but have not claimed it. This may have something to do with the fact that you have to fill out a 22 page form with 243 questions to access the payment. And even if you do manage to fill out the questionnaire there is currently a two month wait to get  any money. But secondly many pensioners who are not eligible for pension credit are still likely to face unaffordable heating bills this winter.Keir Starmer’s justification for this cruel policy, that the government needs to fill a £22 billion black hole left by the Tories , is clearly misleading. Around £9 billion of the £22 billion is made up of the inflationary pay awards made to the doctors, train drivers, teachers and other public servants this summer. If, for example, the government can afford to  give the train drivers  £6000 each in backdated wages (including those who have left the job) plus an increase of 4.5 % this year, taking their salary to around £70k pa, costing up to £100 million, how come there is not enough money to keep pensioners warm this winter?The interesting question is why Keir Starmer has taken this decision. My explanation is that he is completely out of his depth as a prime minister. He is simply a radical lawyer with no understanding of economics who has been promoted above his abilities. Since becoming Labour leader he has realised that many of the left wing policies he believed in are simply unrealistic, if not plain stupid. So now he doesn’t know what he believes.  There is a vacuum in his mind where there used to be a political philosophy. So when Rachel Reeves, influenced by Treasury officials, tells him that the country can’t afford WFA, he doesn’t have the knowledge or the political nous to resist. When a she tells him it is cheaper to pay the doctors what they want than bearing the cost of strikes, he  goes along with it even though this will encourage other public sector unions to make inflationary pay demands.I don’t think he can now afford to drop the policy on WFA for fear of losing all authority as  Prime Minister. And I fear that the threat of losing the Labour whip will deter Fleur Anderson from voting against the government.

Steven Rose ● 47d