Forum Topic

"Labour is supposedly the champion of the poor and needy"Not now. That tear-jerking leftwing stuff has gone. You got the wrong bloke."Keir Starmer has said he will lead from the centre ground if elected prime minister and declared wealth creation to be his “number one mission”.In an interview with the Times, Starmer said the centre ground was “where most people are at”.“As a nation, broadly speaking we’re a pretty reasonable, tolerant bunch but we are in the centre ground of politics. People don’t like the extremes of the right or the left. They are reasonably tolerant. They want themselves, their families and the country to improve and make progress,” he said.Starmer said the ‘“only way our country can go forward” was if people and businesses make money. “I think it’s a good thing that people are aspirational. When I say our number one mission is economic growth, you could say our number one mission is wealth creation. Now that’s an odd thing for the Labour party to say. It might have been in the past.”Asked whether he was relaxed about people making money, he said: “Very. I’m not just relaxed, I’m relaxed as well as being doggedly determined.”His centrist pitch comes as the party conducts what some see as a purge of Labour’s left wing. Earlier this week, the sitting MP Lloyd Russell-Moyle and Faiza Shaheen, who had been selected by her local party to run as the Labour candidate for Chingford and Woodford Green, were deselected by the party’s national executive committee, where Starmer allies have majority control, and replaced by figures on the right of the party." (Guardian 1/6/24)https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/01/labour-keir-starmer-says-wealth-creation-is-his-number-one-mission"When I say our number one mission is economic growth, you could say our number one mission is wealth creation. Now that’s an odd thing for the Labour party to say. It might have been in the past.”Asked whether he was relaxed about people making money, he said: “Very. I’m not just relaxed, I’m relaxed as well as being doggedly determined.”"

David Ainsworth ● 53d

I see now that the 2 million is an estimate by Age UK.  I couldn't understand how they could be sure and I think that is the big problem.  What we do know is that we have woefully insulated homes and that the elderly are quite naturally petrified by the scams and cowboy builders that now proliferate, are very clever and can be totally devastating.  I've also experienced that the elderly also are often not very good at spending money on themselves with the view that they won't be here long enough to enjoy a newly well insulated home or new and easier to use bathroom preferring to spend money on their grandchildren and always being afraid that they will end up needing care and of the hideous amount of money that that costs - worse now there is no cap on care costs. If only we could be secure on that! Improved and adapted homes would allow those with a disability to stay at home for longer (which is what we always found was wanted).  There so often isn't the right accommodation to downsize into in the same area which would help.Perhaps it is all Govts that try to use divide and conquer as a method of winning their way.  The Tories certainly used it.  With less of a two party political competition perhaps it would surely be better. Children are finding it very hard to be able to afford to move away from home now because of not just the cost of accommodation but also the availability.The lack of preparation for the expected-sometime-pandemic that cost so many lives and so much money thrown at knee-jerk and ill thought-out and dodgy solutions will take a long time to forgive. Some of that claimed back would not go  amiss now.I still think that everyone should read more about the other  benefits that are available.  I have consistently suggested that people should contact them as their advice and signposting has always been very useful.  I also know that they meet with MPs to discuss various problems that the elderly are facing.  Even if your Putney MP right now isn't actually an Age UK Ambassador I remember reading that she has worked where she should have gained some sympathy for those less well off.https://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-press/articles/2024/help-us-save-winter-fuel-payment-for-struggling-pensioners-says-age-uk/   

Philippa Bond ● 53d

Hello Jane,While I agree with you in certain respects, I do think that withdrawing the WFA from pensioners was a rather mean, unexpected and unwelcome move.  The same with withdrawing the cap on care for the elderly.  It does seem that the current government does not like pensioners at all or, perhaps, they are the easiest target of them all.  I would dearly love to see a redress of the £525b wasted  during COVID. I do agree with increasing doctors' pay as it has been frozen for more than 10 years.  All in the name of austerity - which applied to some but not all.I do not understand why the government has agreed a pay increase with train drivers as they are employed by private companies.  Yes, the government does pay a subsidy to the companies but staff salaries should be paid by the companies themselves.As far as the water companies are concerned, I have no respect for them and am appalled that some are saying they need to increase charges by 59%........  If they are in such incredible debt, let the management and shareholders be responsible for this. But, of course, they are owned by foreign pension funds, China has a stake in it as does Abu Dhabi.  As for the triple lock, as far as I remember, Cameron was rather shocked at the time when a pensioner said how would he live on £97 a week (or month?). Hence, the idea of the triple lock.I agree that we had an easier time than our children's generation.  Perhaps because it was a more equal and considerate society?  By this I mean we lived in a society before greed and avarice took over and before we sold our family silver....

Ivonne Holliday ● 53d

I noted in another post that an article in the latest New Scientist indicates we've almost certainly missed "1.5 Celsius" targets and that the term "net zero" rather than being used as a term describing atmospheric physics is being used as a derogatory term for "an environmental policy I don't like" (as helpful as usig the term "woke" as an insult for a social policy one dislikes rather than trying to understand the rwal complexities of the issue). https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg26335052-800-the-1-5c-target-is-dead-but-climate-action-neednt-be/(And, behind paywall, https://www.newscientist.com/article/2444314-best-case-scenario-for-climate-change-is-now-1-6c-of-warming/ )(Keep in mind New Scientist is now part of the Daily Mail and General Trust so no "lefty" political bias.)I would think Mr Milliband is being - quite sensibly -driven by the science rather than the economics because of the need to inject some urgency in the rush to net zero. I guess that's the price of playing catch-up for the decade or so of complacency about climate change. Perhaps there's also some irony that many of the over 70s generation losing the WFA voted for Thatcher in '70s (actully 1979) who then proceeded to overturn Labour's plan for the British National Oil Corporation (BNOC) which my understanding was (from working with BNOC back then to supply some software) to retain the oil and gas wealth in public ownership (I don't think the term "sovereign fund" was used then); the closest reference I can find is this - no WWW in the 1970s, IT was still transitioning from punched cards!https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/13/north-sea-oil-money-uk-norwegians-fundSo, unlike, for example, Norway, there's no money now to invest in renewables, home insulation and new heating methods. So I guess the UK's paying the price of past decisions to now catch up. I suspect there may be furher consideration regarding the WFA and who should pay the price of these failures ... perhaps the oil companies shoulder a responsibility? Yes, this year's Labour Party Conference will be interesting ...

Michael Ixer ● 63d