Forum Topic

I'm not sure I've seen 2030 being set as a critical date for climate change, other than the one originally set for final sale of ICE cars in the UK, now charged and aligned with the EU one of 2035.The net zero target date is 2050 as far as I'm aware. I regularly attend science lectures, mainly at Imperial College or hosted by the British Astronomical Association, and I'd say I've met few attendees or lecturers who don't accept the realities of man made climate change (well, except Piers Corbyn who always seems to be popping up); the evidence of the exponential rise in the proportion of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere is all too obvious. What isn't too clear is the rate at which temperatures will rise and at what point the level of greenhouse gases will reach an irreversible "runaway" point. For example, my understanding (which is a very amateur one) is that the effect of polar ice cap melting was underestimated. The compounded effect is that as the more ice melts the reflective effect on sunlight will reduce adding to the heating of the earth. The underestimate of this one parameter could mean 2050 is too late.I must admit the burying of heads in the sand by many world leaders, CEOs, etc isn't encouraging but at my age the long term effect probably isn't going to affect me significantly. However, I suspect we've reached the point now that the only way of recovering the situation is an effective carbon capture process but to date we're short of delivering one that is anywhere near effective enough to solve the potential catastrophe. Personally, if I was a "young person" I might be anxious about the future but, perhaps given Ukraine and the Middle East, one should be more concerned about someone throwing nuclear weapons around?Anyway, as I understand it, the ECHR case was about the right to family life as an direct result of the failure to act on net zero? So if the women were constrained in that - either being forced to stay at home or having their lives shortened by rising temperatures - then surely that is a legal judgement on their reduced quality of family life? If the result of that is that governments have to take action to mitigate climate change, and halt the potential extinction of the human race, then who could argue that's a bad thing even if it is poor democracy? Well, except perhaps the cockroaches who are waiting around to claim world domination! :-)

Michael Ixer ● 19d

Hello Steven,It is a great pity that you choose the interpretation of Article 8 that suits you.  You quite cunningly forgot to mention their right to their home.  Interestingly, in today's interpretation of things, the article mentions:  "Everyone has the right to respect his private and family life, his home and his correspondence."  Perhaps the problem was that the litigation was brought by women?It is a violation of democracy for a party leader to withdraw the whip from an MP for disagreeing with the party leader.  It can be withdrawn for many reasons, but disagreement is not one of them.  Shall we say it was very helpful to Johnson to have "yes" people in Parliament?I could not care less about whatever Labour did as a justification for excusing BoJo.  He did this just to ensure he could get "Brexit done with the oven ready deal."  I think experience has shown us that there was no oven ready deal and they had no idea on how to proceed.  But, hey, why should he have to accept criticism?  Perhaps he was too worried about Carrie's redecoration of No. 10.As far as Labour is concerned, there was an enormous problem of antisemitism, was there not?  I also seem to remember, rather vaguely I admit, that at the time there was also a problem with a comparison made between NATO and Russia?  As for Abbott, was there not a problem with levels of discrimination when she said that Irish and Jewish people do not suffer as much discrimination as black people do?  Please do tell me I am wrong.

Ivonne Holliday ● 20d

Mr Evans'Perhaps you forgot about The Sun, The Times, Daily Express and Daily Mail as well as the Telegraph'.Whenever this point is made I always think that if so many more of these papers are bought or read on line than those with a different perspective, perhaps it is because their opinions represent more closely the majority views of the general public.It does not make the opinions maliciously wrong or biased nor the readership.Just different.In the case of the Guardian, I am not saying the topics are not important and sometimes newsworthy, but perhaps its tediously predictable spouting and promotion of racism, disability and gender opinion, sometimes in the context of intersectionality, puts people off and keeps its sales low.But then this does not matter as it is funded by a Trust whose wealth ironically came from slave trading !'The extensive academic research summarised above makes clear that John Edward Taylor, our founding editor, and most of the backers who helped fund the Manchester Guardian had links to transatlantic slavery.' - 28 March 2023. It is certainly true that no one else seems to think there is a bigger prospective readership such that would it worthwhile publishing an equivalent tabloid. But you have also forgotten the Daily Mirror which is Labour supporting, and it is a tired cliché to say the Times is Conservative biased.Its news reporting to me appears as unbiased as one would expect from any serious news media and it gives Comment space to a pretty wide range of opinion.If those of a leftist view don't like 'the right wing press' they can either crowd fund the setting up of media supporting a 'left wing one' or turn to online leftist media such as the Novara Media - 'a platform for left-wing politics, culture and media'. Seems there's plenty of media outlets to echo everyone's point of view ! 

John Hawkes ● 21d