Forum Topic

Link below - seems the plan was to give Ukraine time and that would be sufficient. High corruption doesn't go well with such plans as shown in Afghanistan or even in the UK with regard to PPE.There doesn't appear to have been a plan B or C for that matter.France kept it's defence spending below 2% GDP, Germany just above 1% and the UK's went from 2.5 to 2%.France at least is more energy independent unlike the UK & Germany. No preparation appears to have been made with regard to energy despite the repeated US warning that they would one way or another put an end to Norsk Stream.A free press stopped the Vietnam war. It probably could have stopped the multiple of illegal wars the UK engaged in. Could it have stopped the Ukraine war? Many regional conflicts like Gaza, Ukraine (pre invasion) and Northern Ireland exists due to inequality. A free press can certainly shine a light on those issues before they become critical and lead to better decisions.The EU is meant to be founded on law and process. Pro Israel or not Ursula von der Leyen did not follow process nor did she have the legal authority when she cancel Palestinian aid. So whose orders was she following??Also the veto is vital to the EU constitution. Strange that there is no outcry in the EU effectively breaking its constitution and probably acting illegally. Ukraine aid could easily come from member states just like the UK.Is it still looking like the EU that some hard remainers would have us believe?https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/brussels-threatens-hit-hungarys-economy-if-orban-vetoes-ukraine-aid-ft-2024-01-29https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2023/01/the-wests-tankies-finally-get-their-way-in-ukraine-but-where-does-that-way-lead.html

Ed Robinson ● 43d

ooooh @Ed you're sounding a little hysterical...perhaps it's time to put the sherry down?Let's tick these points off one by one shall we?"For the leaders of France & Germany to admit they had no intentions of honouring international agreements"I'm actually interested in this one, with no sarcasm (honestly) because i'm not sure what you are talking about. Give me something to read please :)"Lock up journalists for example? What say you on that?"I am not in favour of locking up journalists - I admit i'm not sure what this has to do with your accusation that 'hard remainers and greens' have provoked Putin into invading Ukraine. I'm ready to be enlightened though!"The way to defeat Putin is not by acting like him but sticking to the democratic principles of transparency and the freedom of the press, transparency and the belief in the common person making the right decisions given the facts."Excellent, a most worthy amibition and i'm sure a committment to a press press would absolutely have deterred Putin from invading. He certainly comes across as the sort of person who could be stopped by an unflattering headline doesn't he?"Are you against Putin but want to stave two million people to death? How does that work?"Um...no, i'm against Putin and i'm also against starving two million people to death. I don't see the world in the same black and white way that you seem to - I don't agree with the EU stance on Gaza at all, however I am broadly in favour of the idea of the EU in general.Perhaps I missed it in your slightly tipsy/hysterical response but I still can't figure out how the Greens/"hard remainers" are responsible for Russia invading Ukraine?I await, with some excitement I admit, your response!

Michael Brigo ● 44d

"Please could you provide evidence to back up your claim"Yes, let's start with the Big Man, also favorite for the blowing up of Nord Stream,(It is estimated that more than 115,000 tons natural gas (CH4) were released over the course of six days and contributed greenhouse gas emissions comparable to approximately 15 million tons of CO2—or one third of the Danish total CO2 annual emissions) https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/11/09/electric-military-vehicles-are-part-of-biden-climate-agenda-pentagon-says.htmlI guess we could move onto the German Greens who have been very quiet on the Nord Stream but oddly enough very pro war.https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/from-peaceniks-to-hawks-germany-s-greens-have-transformed-in-the-face-of-russia-s-war-a-19bd95f6-fcbc-497d-8ad9-1a767be205f1You can be green or pro war but not both."In 2012 Ernst & Young put Ukraine among the three most-corrupt nations from 43 surveyed, alongside Colombia and Brazil.[24][25] In 2015 The Guardian called Ukraine "the most corrupt nation in Europe".[26] According to a poll conducted by Ernst & Young in 2017, experts considered Ukraine to be the ninth-most corrupt nation from 53 surveyed.[27]Transparency International's 2023 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI), which scored 180 countries on a scale from 0 ("highly corrupt") to 100 ("very clean"), gave Ukraine a score of 36"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Ukraine#:~:text=Transparency%20International's%202023%20Corruption,Ukraine%20a%20score%20of%2036.

Ed Robinson ● 45d