Forum Topic

Mr Rose'I am quite worried about the 21% who replied ''don't know'. Are they people who have spent the last six months living in the Amazon rain forest and haven't heard about the atrocity on October 7, or is it that they simply can't make up their minds as to whether torture, rape and murder are a bad thing?'Various reasons for the 21%.Many people don't follow any 'serious' news media at all.Not interested when they can TikTok a cross eyed cat or simply find it all too depressing.Hence probably they have no idea that the shocking event even took place.Were it to be explained to them I am sure all but the most  fanatical Hamas supporting Palestinian or western fellow traveller would condemn it.So, partly self interest but also canny media tactics by the Hamas terrorists.Has anyone seen them interviewed and asked to explain or justify their barbarous actions ?Perhaps on AL Jazeera or another dodgy Arab news channel but none watched by a sophisticated western audience.And I am sure never critically.A 'never explain never complain' approach means Hamas can remain in the shadows and literally get away with murder.If you make no comments you can never be put on the back foot by having them picked over by your critics. And no one but the most forensic investigator really knows who you are; what your beliefs and aims are; and what terrorist acts you have committed.And those you have committed and are known to the enlightened are soon forgotten.This 'no comment' approach is undoubtedly enforced by terror and brutality.Israel on the other hand does allow free speech and as is always the case, someone will always not choose their words carefully enough and will put their foot in it.These comments themselves then become the centre of interest and become easy pickings for any gaslighting opponent wishing to prove how wicked the Israelis as a whole are.Meanwhile the Hamas terrorists just smirk in the background, their atrocities and vile beliefs fading in the memory.

John Hawkes ● 31d

Mr RoseMore good points; everyone of them true.The "over 3 million Britons want all Jewish presence in the Middle East eliminated through mass expulsion and a similar number say that the October atrocity was ‘justified’ " comment is a terrifying one.Who are these people ?Most must be Palestinians that somehow have gained a right to reside here.Though I am not claiming all such take this view; just the majority.Then there are possibly members of Islamist groups such as the Muslim Association of Britain, Cage and Muslim Engagement and Development (MEND).And perhaps members of the banned group Al-Muhajiroun whose founders Mohammed Sufiyan Choudry and Omar Bakri Muhammad (who also set up Hizb ut-Tahir), were  convicted of organising terrorist speeches and encouraging support for so-called Islamic State (IS).Or even followers of Abu Hamza al-Masri, the notorious 'Captain Hook' iman of Finsbury Park Mosque now doing life in the US ?But to be racially neutral the small number of white fascist 'nutters', members of the BNP and its numerous splinter groups, would probably take the same view.But I maintain a consoling belief that the typical shopper in Tesco or parent at the school gate or supporter of Chelsea do not hold the views of immigrant Palestinians or their unthinking fellow travellers, now complemented by the Pythonesque 'Energy Embargo for Palestine' group (which I have said before is probably not affiliated to by Saudi Arabia or Iran).They just want to get on with their lives. I totally agree with you about the BBC.'In contrast the BBC to my knowledge have never interviewed a Hamas supporter in Gaza. The people whom their reporters choose for interview always disclaim any knowledge of Hamas and accuse Israel of unprovoked aggression. The impression given is that Israel is filled with warmongers, while Gaza is peopled entirely by innocent civilians'.Whatever they claim, it is an organisation that would find it difficult in today's political and higher education  environment to hire journalists that have not been imbued with the attitudes you describe.Thus they apparently hire local journalists in Palestine to report on what they claim to be occurring, some with their Palestinian bias recorded on Twitter.Not unreasonable under the circumstances I guess for any dispassionate reporter would not only be ignored by Hamas but likely fear for their safety.And yes, haven't their actions on 7th October 2023 so quickly been forgotten.Still now Hamas have gained control of Gaza (albeit their true leaders are on the beach in Qatar) I have no doubt they are planning full and free elections - just as in Israel.

John Hawkes ● 32d

Ms Bond'It is hardly peaceful for any member of the Israeli Govt to be calling for Gaza to be nuked either'.Agreed it's a stupid statement to make.But in a country where free speech is a right, this person has a right to make one in the knowledge that what he calls for would never be sanctioned by Israel's government and hence never carried out.Hamas in its Charter however calls for the annihilation of Israel and the Jews and has as I am sure you would admit, already taken steps to make this happen.Control/governance/'ownership' of the West Bank is complicated.Wikipedia states - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bank'Since the 1993 Oslo Accords, the Palestinian Authority officially controls a geographically non-contiguous territory comprising approximately 11% of the West Bank, known as Area A, which remains subject to Israeli incursions. Area B, approximately 28%, is subject to joint Israeli-Palestinian military and Palestinian civil control. Area C, approximately 61%, is under full Israeli control. Though 164 nations refer to the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, as "Occupied Palestinian Territory", the state of Israel quotes the UN that only territories captured in war from "an established and recognized sovereign" are considered occupied territories.After the 2007 split between Fatah and Hamas, the West Bank areas under Palestinian control are an exclusive part of the Palestinian Authority'. I have no evidence to support me but I believe Israel would be quite happy to relinquish all control of the West Bank to the Palestinians as it did with Gaza before Hamas abused that control.Happy that is if it felt that the West Bank, like Gaza, was not a threat to its and its peoples' existence.This is unlikely to happen with the Palestinian cause being in the hands of aggressive and belligerent Arabs.

John Hawkes ● 33d

Hello Steven,Yes, I did reply to your question though perhaps not a response you agree with or wish to consider. Allow me to expand:Israel has at least 10 Iron Dome batteries in operation, each containing 60 to 80 interceptor missiles. Each of those missiles costs about US$60,000.https://www.colorado.edu/asmagazine/2023/10/13/israels-iron-dome-air-defense-system-works-well-heres-how-hamas-got-around-it#:~:text=Israel%20has%20at%20least%2010,missiles%20costs%20about%20US%2460%2C000https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20385306Today, Israel is protected by a multi-layered defense array, which includes the Arrow-2, Arrow-3, David's Sling, and Iron Dome active defense systems. Together, they defend Israel against various airborne threats.https://english.mod.gov.il/About/Innovative_Strength/Pages/IMDO_Israel_Missile_Defense_Organization.aspx#:~:text=Today%2C%20Israel%20is%20protected%20by,Israel%20against%20various%20airborne%20threats.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Israel_Defense_ForcesIsrael also operates the MIM-104 Patriot missile defense battery, a prized US-made surface-to-air missile system that can neutralize everything from ballistic and cruise missiles to drones and loitering munitions.https://www.businessinsider.com/israel-used-new-arrow-system-first-time-stop-enemy-missile-2023-11#:~:text=Israel%20also%20operates%20the%20MIM,to%20drones%20and%20loitering%20munitions.Being called Israel's "new secret weapon", a "sponge bomb" is a kind of chemical grenade. It contains no explosives but can be used to seal off gaps or tunnel entrances.https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/what-are-israels-new-secret-weapon-sponge-bombs-and-how-they-work-4522254#:~:text=Being%20called%20Israel's%20%22new%20secret,off%20gaps%20or%20tunnel%20entrances.As far as I am aware, WW2 was fought in a few fronts.  The principal belligerents were the Axis powers—Germany, Italy, and Japan—and the Allies—France, Great Britain, the United States, the Soviet Union, and, to a lesser extent, China.All of the troops were wearing very identifiable uniforms.The latter is not the case with extremists/terrorists.  This is a very difficult war to fight for this very reason!The Hamburg bombings were organized by the Allies and, in this case, carried out by Great Britain and the USA. I understand it was called Operation Gomorrah.  I expect that the populations of France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Poland, Greece plus others must have been rather relieved.

Ivonne Holliday ● 34d

Hi IvonneI do understand that there are civilians in Gaza. I mentioned them explicitly in my post. I also understand that it is possible to despise Hamas and criticise the actions of Israel at the same time. In fact I pointed out that critics of Israel are offended at the suggestion that they are apologists for Hamas. But I am afraid you have not answered my second question. How is Israel supposed to remove the threat of repeated attacks from Hamas? Israel may have an enormous army, but when Hamas militants fire from schools, hospitals and residential buildings, using the people of Gaza as human shields, it is impossible to eliminate them without causing civilian casualties. The analogy with the IRA is misleading. The IRA were a terrorist organisation operating within the UK and  consisting of fewer than 1000 activists at any one time. Though they killed some civilians in dreadful pub bombings and other terrorist outrages, they mainly targeted police and army personnel. Their aim was to achieve a united Ireland, not to wipe out the Protestant community of Ulster, nor to exterminate the population of the British mainland. Hamas, in contrast, have taken control  of a foreign territory where they enjoy considerable popular support. They possess an army of over 20 000 militants and their stated aim is to exterminate the Jewish population of Israel, as demonstrated by the atrocity of October 7. A better analogy of the conflict between Israel and Hamas would be the war between Britain and Nazi Germany. The RAF caused  more civilians casualties in a single night of bombing over Hamburg than the total death toll in Gaza, but Britain continued hostilities until the Nazis finally surrendered.

Steven Rose ● 34d

I disagree with you too, Steven Rose.It is a concept very difficult for you to grasp but it is very possible to despise Hamas and disaprove of Israel's actions at the same time.  The flattening of parts of Gaza is not acceptable.  It was equally unacceptable when the Syrian government did this to its own people with the assistance of Russia.Hamas were as pesky as mosquitoes and midges in summer when shooting rockets into Israel.  I never understood why Israel did not reply to them then.Your question:  "Is Israel supposed to tolerate on its border an army of over 20 000 militants who not only perpetrated a dreadful massacre but have threatened to repeat it ‘again and again’? And if not, how is Israel to remove this threat?"  For starters, Israel has an enourmous and very well trained military.  I Googled it and here is an article from The Independent which states that Israel has 173,000 active soldiers including 8,000 commanders plus 300,000 reservists called up to fight Hamas. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/idf-israel-military-power-iron-dome-b2437545.htmlIsrael admitted that, on 7 October 2023, it had let its guard down.Of course Israel must defend itself, something that it can do very well indeed and it has all the military and intelligence backup to do so very effectively indeed.But many people like you forget there are civilians in Gaza that have nothing to do with Hamas.  The population of Gaza City alone is 590,481 of which some 15,000 to 40,000 are in Hamas.  Quite a difference, would you not say?To conclude, it is very difficult to fight extremists and/or terrorists wherever you are in the world.  The IRA must have taught you this much.I very much doubt you would have agreed the British Army to flatten NI to erradicate the IRA.  Or would you?

Ivonne Holliday ● 34d

Hamas is all but defeated militarily. Their last hope is that peace campaigners in the West will put pressure on their governments to compel Israel to call a unilateral ceasefire. Unfortunately such a ceasefire would simply leave Hamas in possession of the hostages, whom they can use as bargaining chips, and in control of parts of Gaza where they hope to regroup and renew their attacks.Peace campaigners, motivated by sympathy for the civilian population, naturally take offence at any suggestion that they are antisemitic or apologists for Hamas. Some of this indignation has been expressed on the Forum. But in effect, however much they may dislike the implication, these campaigners are furthering Hamas’ cause for the reason given above. Their presence also gives respectability to the groups organising the demonstrations, some of whom make no secret of the fact that they regard the whole of Israel as ‘under occupation ‘, proved by the chants of ‘from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free’.The immediate solution is for Hamas to lay down their arms and release the hostages and for Israel to suspend its military campaign. Regrettably the demonstrators only demand the latter, but never the former. Some contributors to the Forum have tried to justify this one-sided approach by arguing, in effect, that there is no point in appealing to Hamas because they  are just a bunch of terrorists while Israel is a democratic country. In my view this approach simply favours Hamas.I have got two questions. Is Israel supposed to tolerate on its border an army of over 20 000 militants who not only perpetrated a dreadful massacre but have threatened to repeat it ‘again and again’? And if not, how is Israel to remove this threat?

Steven Rose ● 35d

Mr Hawkes. I suppose I'd agree that I'mlsi not sure to what extent these - and other marches - influence government policies,  which is why I rarely participate in any. It's perhaps more a way of expressing feelings - as with the marches about the lies and madness of Brexit? The person I had a conversation with about the recent marches wanted a ceasefire to stop the collapse of the Gaza health system and what appears to be the impending famine, both of which could devastate the population in Gaza.I'm not sure it's anything to do with marches but the US seems to be worried about the human catastrophe that might be caused by famine and a health system collapse in Gaza - perhaps it's the risk of the Democrats losing votes in the Presidential election that's more of a factor? Although the EU (and UK?) are now expressing concern. If you think the marches are anti Israeli, the social media posts in the US are a lot more direct, and from apparentyly normally moderate liberals - I'd guess you'd call them woke? Still, I suppose the real judgement will come after the conflict ends and the historians begin their analysis. I wasn't drawing parallels between the Ukraine and Gaza war per se, it was precisely that people weren't demonstrating about Ukraine because the government was acting but if they weren't acting would those objecting to the current protests have a different view if people were protesting for support of Ukraine? But I put it together in a hurry, as with this post - perhaps I could have used Black Lives Matter or Sarah Everard protests as examples; anyway surely the danger is only allowing protests one agrees with; as is the case in Russia. 

Michael Ixer ● 40d