Forum Topic

Mr Rose'Could someone please tell me the difference between the policies of Labour and the Conservatives'.There is no difference as the numerous columnists on Labour's main printed media outlet the Guardian keep plaintively telling us.But then what policy differences would most people actually want ?More nationalisation ?Vast investment in so called 'green' energy sources ?More immigration and thence more house building that would need follow ?Increased Income Tax to pay for a larger public sector and more WAH Civil Servants ?We have a set of major policies I would suggest that most are comfortable with, now even extending to a common policy on non-doms.Hence the Parties have to try to differentiate themselves with tiddly little economic tweaks regarding NI, more pennies for the NHS etc, about which the electorate as a whole just yawns and says "So what". We have the best economic system possible under the circumstances of the 'rich' saying "I don't want give anything up" and the 'poor' saying "I want some more" and both Parties know it.But who are the poor and why are they so ?Is it not possible for them to earn more than they have now ?Government statistics reveal -'The estimated number of vacancies in December 2023 to February 2024 was 908,000, a decrease of 43,000 from September to November 2023.Nearly 2.5million of those unemployed are long-term sick, compared to 2.17million just before Covid struck in 2020. The official figures came as separate analysis suggested 3.9million people are claiming means-tested benefits with no requirement to look for work.Stats compiled for The Times by consultancy Policy in Practice indicated that crackdowns on jobless handouts might have pushed up sickness claims, as numbers have spiked by a fifth in the past three years.  The Office for National Statistics said economic inactivity had been driven recently by rises among the 16-34 band, while the rate for 35 to 64-year-olds had fallen'.So, do we have a 'I can't get a job' problem or a 'I don't want or don't need to get a job' problem ?  

John Hawkes ● 46d