Forum Topic

I'm not sure what percentage of leaseholds have sink funds and if they do how sufficient those funds are.Some quote 60% of leaseholds. Many council privatised properties do not have a sink fund. Wandsworth properties do not as far as I'm aware.With small or low rise properties maintenance costs are fairly easy to determine although still not without difficulty.However with larger properties the costs seem to spiral with many having been originally sold at very low prices compared to future maintenance costs.For example a low rise flat may have originally been sold in the early 80,s for 30K. Five  years later it needs a new roof that will then cost 10K. If the people were lucky they would have sold on the flat during the boom that saw property prices double.However many leaseholders are not so lucky. Of course ignoring the 17% interest rates - a couple of decades later and that property is now worth 250k but only if they sell it.In the meantime they have retired and another roof replacement is now due not to mention the other numerous mayor repairs in between.Some of the high rises the prices are more extreme and many less able to afford those high costs.Together with some buy to let landlords this partly explains the resistance that is encountered when doing some improvements that make economic sense in the long term such as replacing single with double glazing.I should say that I bought my flat privately at the hight of the late 80's boom and subsequent 17% interest rates but still considered myself fortunate compared with younger people trying to buy a property.

Ed Robinson ● 56d

Andy. I think it's probably true that insufficient due diligence has been carried out by many purchasers' solicitors - and also some managing agents have allowed some blocks to be inadequately maintained over the years meaning it cames as a nasty shock when work can no longer be postponed. (Remember, the managing agents are appointed by and work or the freeholders even though the leaseholders pay their charges, an anomalous situation.)It sounds like Wandsworth are relatively benign landlords. Others are just greedy and selfish - I won't go into details but they use lawyers to frustrate leaseholders' rights and bocks are often sold to offshore companies with faceless owners. The company owning the freehold of my mother's flat in Essex was Chinese, although fortunately it was easy to sell when the funds were needed for care home charges. In my opinion a regulator similar to the financial services one is needed - after all, property is often someone's biggest investment and needs to be protected from abuse in the same way as pensions or other savings.Even jointly owning a block with other leaseholders has issues: there may not be agreements on work needed, there's often a reluctance to enforce lease obligations against leaseholders (such as mandatory carpeting or noise proof floors) and many management companies are still lackadaisical not understanding they now work for the leaseholders who are also the block's owners! (And I heard of one instance where the agents tried to run off with the service charge funds.)

Michael Ixer ● 60d