Forum Topic

Ms Bond'So I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about except that the two chosen by Mr Hawkes to comment on are ones that he would not take part in'.I have to confess that the only protest march I have participated in was the anti-Iraq invasion march in 2003 when Tony Blair sided with George Bush to invade Iraq and attempt to kill Saddam Hussein for his alleged part in the Islamist attacks on the Twin Towers New York.This was not that I in anyway supported British anti-American Islamist sympathisers like the 'Stop the War' group, but because I felt it was a military overkill (sic) reaction and likely to be politically counter productive.I thought the best response would have been to implement extreme and stringent economic sanctions, and then for US and UK Special Forces to enter Iraq and simply assassinate Hussein, which might also have been welcomed by many Iraqis themselves, groups of whom he had ethnically cleansed in their thousands.Moving on, I see there was another pro-Palestine march in London yesterday though in numbers the Met state were less than the organisers claimed.For some a Saturday protest march seems to be the equivalent of going to a Premier league game - a weekly ritual !But the issue seems to be facing relegation in that yesterday only c.10,000 marched rather than 100,000+ at the end of last year.I also read that parts of East London were adorned with Palestine flags on public buildings and street furniture.This of course gives the impression that parts of our country are being annexed just like the Palestinians and their sympathizers say the Israelis have been doing to them in the Middle East.The local Council for the area is dominated by a Party named Aspire formed by and led by Lutfur Rahman, a politician of Bangladeshi origin with a very chequered political past.According to Wikipedia -'Lutfur Rahman was the leader of Tower Hamlets London Borough Council from 2008 to 2010 for the Labour Party, and was initially selected as that party's candidate for the 2010 mayoral election. After allegations of links to a fundamentalist group and of signing up ineligible voters for the selection process, he was removed as Labour's candidate, and left the party to contest and win the election as an independent candidate.He was re-elected at the 2014 mayoral election as the candidate for Tower Hamlets First, but the result of this election was declared null and void on 23 April 2015 when the Election Court officially reported Lutfur Rahman to be "personally guilty" of "corrupt or illegal practices, or both" (electoral fraud) under the Representation of the People Act 1983.[1][2] He was thus removed from his office with immediate effect and was also personally debarred from standing for elected office until 2021.[3][4] He was also struck off as a solicitor.[5]In 2018 he was involved in the founding of a new party, Aspire, and at the May 2022 local elections, following the expiration of his ban, he successfully stood for election to the mayoralty as the Aspire candidate, with the party also taking the majority of seats on the council'.That's why I would certainly not take part in a pro-Palestine march because I have no desire for the country to be dominated by groups and their leaders whose religious/political views I am firmly against. As for the 'Just Stop Oil' campaign my view is that if they think they have such a compelling case they should put it to the British electorate by their candidates standing in elections at all levels of government.And their campaign should demonstrate unequivocally how our economy and way of life can persist without the use of such a source of energy.

John Hawkes ● 83d

Mr Carter'In the real world, it's possible to oppose both. Got it now?'At a simplistic level it is possible to 'oppose' some of the ACTIONS carried out by Israel after it was invaded by Hamas on 7th October 2023. Those you condemn are perhaps trying to force Gazans to recognise the effects the actions of their unelected rulers result in and 'encourage' their opposition to them.But to equate both 'organisations' - Hamas and Israel (as you seem to do) definitely not.Hamas is a proscribed Islamist terrorist, antisemitic and fascist organisation with no political standing anywhere, which according to its Charter is intent on the destruction of Israel and all Jews that live there.Have you read this and do you agree with my reading of it ?Israel on the other hand is a multi-ethnic democracy with the free institutions such as we benefit from.It is also our ally and doubtless provides us with much intelligence to prevent Islamist atrocities on our streets.On 7th October 2023 Israel was invaded by Hamas from Gaza which slaughtered or assaulted (sometimes sexually) numerous women and children and took and is keeping many others hostage.  But strangely the BBC claims that to call its members terrorists is to show a bias -'Terrorism is a loaded word, which people use about an outfit they disapprove of morally. It's simply not the BBC's job to tell people who to support and who to condemn - who are the good guys and who are the bad guys'.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67083432Perhaps this is why you are so even handed regarding this issue.

John Hawkes ● 88d

From the start of the conflict Israel has been accused of war crimes:  attacking hospitals, starving civilians, ethnic cleansing, mistreating prisoners and genocide.The thing that most of the people making these accusations seem to forget is that the party responsible for ghastly war crimes is Hamas, who on October 7 last year raped, tortured, mutilated and murdered over 1000 Israelis, desecrating their bodies in many cases, and took over 200 hostages, of whom over 100 still remain in captivity, where they are starved and beaten according to a released Thai hostage. The accusations of war crimes against Israel are mostly lies, invented by Hamas and disseminated by Palestinian sympathisers, including journalists and relief workers - lies which are unfortunately accepted as facts by well meaning people in this country.The first lie, disseminated by the BBC, was the alleged destruction by Israel of the Al Ahli hospital, which turned out to be a conflagration in the car park of the hospital  caused by a misfiring rocket launched by Islamic Jihad. then there was the supposed illegal occupation by Israeli troops of the Al Shifa hospital. Mishal Husain of BBC Radio 4 interviewed their Palestinian reporter, Rushdi Abualouf, who assured listeners that the hospital, which he had visited many times, was a purely medical facility. Even when the Israelis discovered Kalashnikovs, a car bomb and a tunnel at the hospital and later discovered footage of hostages being bundled into the hospital on October 7 in full view of doctors, Mishal Husain suggested that maybe they were being taken there for treatment.The accusations of a deliberate policy of starvation were first made by 'War on Want' back in October and repeated in December, supported by selective quotation from Israeli politicians. It is true that Israel has restricted the number of aid lorries coming into Gaza, presumably to prevent Hamas impounding food and fuel for their own purposes. This is not something I personally approve of but I can understand why the Israeli military are doing everything in their power to prevent Hamas from continuing their resistance. But I don't in any case believe that this amounts to a deliberate policy of mass starvation, as alleged.Israeli attempts to warn civilians to move from areas about to be attacked (which is more than the Allies did in World War Two, or Nato did when it bombed Serbia or the Coalition did in the Iraq wars) have been grossly misrepresented as ethnic cleansing. The accusation has been supported by selective quotation from Israeli politicians who do not represent the policy of the government. Netanyahu has made it clear that he does not wish to move the Palestinians out of Gaza but to retain military control, which, however controversial, is very different.The alleged mistreatment of prisoners stems from the picture of Palestinian men who were arrested in war zones that they were advised in advance to leave and who were stripped to their underpants. This was done to protect Israeli soldiers from concealed weapons and suicide jackets. The majority of the men were later released unharmed once it became clear that they were clearly civilians. This contrasts with the treatment of Israeli civilians by Hamas (see above).The accusation of genocide against Israel is not just false but patently absurd. The Israelis could have killed everyone in Gaza in a couple of hours if they had wanted to. Instead they have tried to minimise civilian casualties in a way that few, if any, invading armies in the past have tried to do, though tragically many civilians have died in the conflict. However I think it is shameful that the ICJ has taken the accusation of genocide against Israel seriously. Their decision also calls their objectivity into question. Is the ICJ going to consider a charge of genocide against Russia for the 10 000 civilian deaths in Ukraine, or against Syria, whose regime has killed literally hundreds of thousands of civilians and driven millions into exile?Concerning Israel's war aims, Michael casts doubt on whether Israel's plan to eradicate Hamas is realistic. It is sometimes said that Hamas is an ideology which cannot be eliminated by force of arms. But I don't believe that in 1945 anyone argued that Nazism was an ideology that could not be militarily defeated. Once the Nazi leadership was removed, it ceased to be a threat. I don't think that that the Palestinians' desire for statehood can or should be eliminated, but Hamas, a genocidal terrorist organisation, can be eradicated once its leaders are killed or captured. But it may be that Israel will be forced to accept the leaders going into exile as the price for the safe return of the hostages.  Michael says he doesn't think 'many of us' are antisemitic or anti-Israeli. I personally have not seen antisemitic posts on this Forum but I think there is evidence of anti-Israeli feeling, manifested by a) misleading accounts of the history of the Middle East b) gratuitous comparisons between Israel and the Nazis and c) criticism of Israel which is not matched by criticism of other nations.

Steven Rose ● 89d

I'm loathe to make many comments on this as we don't know the truth in a war zone where journalists have limited access - and a record number of journalists have been killed. Others also appear to have far more knowledge of the history and background of this region than I do.However, we do know Hamas made a deadly, despicable attack on Israeli 7th October killing and abducting many; no excuse for that.Israel responded in self defence in line with international law as its entitled to do.Now over 20,000 Palestinian have apparently been killed. Videos from hospitals and sites destroyed seem to indicate many of those killed or maimed are innocent civilians, many are children.The Palestinian casualty figures do originate from the Hamas controlled health authorities but if one uses Google there are a number of articles indicating in previous conflicts their figures have been reasonably accurate. If one looks at the devastation of Gaza in video and satellite images the numbers don't seem unrealistic. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/what-is-gazas-ministry-of-health-and-how-does-it-calculate-the-wars-death-tollI doubt whether the aim to eliminate Hamas or that culture is realistic, the current action may even have strengthen that attitude amongst many Palestinians. I'm not saying that's desirable but being realistic in that other anti Israel parties, probably Iran, would like to foster that culture. I'm sure there are Palestinians who are pro Hamas, but some are also Christians; the IDF reportedly shot dead two Catholic women sheltering in a church trying to go to the toilet - ok, mistakes happen in war - but I'm sure they weren't Hamas supporters. Is there a shortage of food, water and fuel? Well if the number of lorries allowed in with aid has been significantly reduced and infrastructure is damaged restricting distribution, and some areas are blocked off by the IDF then I think common sense coupled with evidence from interviews with non Palestinian UN workers and Palestinian civilians suggested the answer is definitely yes. My personal opinion is the current action is unlikely to free the hostages; it's already caused the death of three because of IDF members not following their rules of engagement (but I suppose that's war when conscripts are frightened and self preservation clocks in). The hostages' families don't seem too happy with the Israeli government action freeing them (invadingandprotestingat a finance committee meeting), and it's interesting that behind the scenes negotiations are going on (yes, one might say the action is keeping Hamas talking, the Israelis are there as well; US pressure?). That's possible seen as the best way to get the remaining ones freed like the first ones? But, yes, the hostages should be released.I don't think many of us are anti Israeli or anti Jewish. Perhaps more a concern is with the current Israeli government which seems to be a very right wing coalition (and yes, I dont like very right wing governments wherever they are), and to be honest I think their spokesmen (and they are predominantly men) are losing the PR battle. Comments about nuclear weapons don't help either (other than confirming that Israel has them, and I know that was a minister who's now suspended, not an official commentator), but still a worrying comment as it does emphasise that Israel has the means to completely destroy Gaza, although it probably has the conventional weapons to achieve that if it wanted to:https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/7/israels-nuclear-option-remark-raises-huge-number-of-questions-russiaI'm not sure how appropriate it was saying how helpful they were being dropping leaflets with QR codes of maps indicating safe spaces in Gaza; not much help when telecommunications and power networks were down! Poor PR at best, cynical at worst? Looking at my US FB feed there's now many, some I know are of Jewish heritage, that are now now posting pro Palestinian messages.With regard to WWII comparisons and what was referred to as "area bombing" many like my mother who'd experienced the blitz and V weapons did regard this as revenge to demoralise Germans rather than as militarily beneficial, and post war some considered Arthur "Bomber" Harris a war criminal (some reports say the late Queen Mother was hecked when she unveiled a memorial to him), and there are reports Churchill found the action distasteful as it wasn't focusing on military targets, and some military personnel also thought it detracted from strategic aims. My understanding is that many of the current rules of war, what's proportionate, etc are the results of post WWII treaties so what happened in WWII may no longer be relevant or legal? (Sometimes it also helps to be on the winning side to determine what's lawful ...)Interesting that the ICJ didn't demand a cease fire as Israel was entitled to defend itself but essentially said it should take action to minimise civilian casualties (my precis); haven't the US, UK, some EU countries said that as well?Anyway, i just feel sad for all the innocent Israelis, Jews, Palestinians, Muslims Christians, and atheists caught up in this conflict. And now we have the situation where the conflict seems to be spreading: the Red Sea, Yemen, Jordan, Iraq ... next Iran?

Michael Ixer ● 89d