Forum Topic

I'm not arguing that the west doesn't bring some of these issues on itself in that many interventions are in it's own interest and often backfire. However, we also have the rather dubious Chinese Belt and Road initiative that ensnare developing countries in debt, and the Russian Wagner private military group's intervention in a number of African states and the Middle East to support or change regimes. I guess all powerful nations like to meddle to think they're protecting themselves?If one looks at the Red Sea intervention to protect merchant shipping although that's a western initiative the Chinese probably won't object too much as if supply chains deteriorate and are rethought in a way that will be detrimental to China's manufacturing industry and economy. The Russians are probably ambivalent as they're currently economic outcasts but it might be useful for their vessels to pass uninhibited to those destinations still willing to accept their hydrocarbon products and give them hard currency?Of course, these things work at several levels, and one always has to believe there are back channels with continuing discussions. Let's face it, Roscosmos and NASA still cooperate on the ISS, and Hamas and Israel seem to negotiate via intermediaries in Qatar, etc. And Trump seemed to manage to negotiate a withdrawal from Afghanistan with the Taliban even if it wasn't honoured by the Taliban and seems to have had a disastrous outcome.It's a complex web; of course, it's always the innocent who suffer. Legality of actions is something lawyers will argue about but few interventions will end in court ... like any project where there may be a legitimate reason in the first place there's always an excuse for scope creep and extending deadlines, perhaps not always for totally legitimate reasons but maybe pragmatic ones ... sorry, my cynicism is creeping in there ...

Michael Ixer ● 93d

Thanks, Jonathan, an interesting article. Some thoughts. If we go back to 1920s and 1930s, after WWI, the US followed an isolationist policy and Europe subsequently stumbled into WWII, with the US eventually being dragged into war after the conflict in east Asia extended to Pearl Harbour. I'm not going to pretend that global dynamics are the same now - we now have the US tech companies: Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Microsoft, Meta, Intel, Apple, Starlink, Tesla, Ebay, Paypal, ... colonising the world. However, while we worry about the Russian threat in Europe we also shouldn't forget about the Chinese and North Korean threat in East Asia which are now a direct threat in the Pacific, particularly Taiwan, and even the US itself. Perhaps not so wise for a US President to withdraw again into an isolationist position ignoring Europe?I'm sure the US tech Emporers want their investments in the EU and Asia protected by their government? Of course, Trump also considers himself a business man; does he really want to see the US descend into chaos with the inevitable result that market values collapse? Will his own greed and that of others with influence moderate his actions to avoid such a scenario?Those with wealth in the US will see the effect that the Ukraine conflict has had on the businesses of oligarchs and other business leaders? (Ok, some like Kaspersky had the sense a while ago to register their private company in the UK, and put key servers in Switzerland and other neutral territories so business carries on, but can he and others get at the profits?) Would Trump want to see internal conflict in the US that could be equally damaging and restrictive to the US economy, and his businesses and wealth?Let's not forget, Trump is still the subject of civil and criminal indictments and court cases, will those detract from his campaign and ability to act as president? Perhaps it's again a case of plan for the worst, hope for the best?

Michael Ixer ● 94d

Trump’s faults are there for all to see: he is brash, narcissistic, sexist and a bad loser. And it was foolish and reckless on his part to encourage his supporters to protest in Washington against the result of the election, though I don’t think there is any evidence that he actually incited them to assault the Capitol. (If there were any such evidence, he would already have been arrested and charged along with the other violent demonstrators). But I don’t think he was a bad President on the whole. The American economy grew under his presidency and unemployment fell, particularly among black people , which is why many of them voted for him last time.  His ‘isolationist, ‘America First’ policy also meant that he was less likely than some of his predecessors to assume the moral guardianship of the world and enter into confrontation with states that are not democratic. He  even tried to make a deal with North Korea, until he realised that Kim Jon Un had no intention of negotiating in good faith. Unfortunately much of the media in this country are so consumed  with contempt for Trump on ideological grounds that they tend to characterise his supporters as rednecks or loonies and don’t even try to understand why around 70 million Americans, many of them decent and sensible people, voted for him last time and may do so again. One important issue, which may account for his support among  voters, is border security. Last year 2.3 million people crossed illegally into the United States. That level of immigration is unsustainable.But I don’t agree with the view that America’s aggressive stance towards Russia under Biden provoked Putin into invading Ukraine. If anything,  the opposite is true. Putin has always wanted to regain control of Ukraine and Biden’s hurried and humiliating withdrawal from Afghanistan  encouraged Putin to think that America would simply stand by if he were to invade. If the history of the nineteen thirties teaches us anything  it is that a policy of appeasement only emboldens tyrants to take more and more aggressive steps until war becomes inevitable. In my opinion the best way to avoid a war with Russia or  Iran or China is to let them know that any aggressive steps on their part will have consequences.My main concern about a second Trump presidency is his plan to put an end to the war in Ukraine.  If that means extracting concessions from Putin so as to arrive at a negotiated settlement, that might be worth considering. But if it means withdrawing support from Ukraine and handing victory to Russia, that would be very worrying. I hope and believe that Trump’s advisers would warn him of the danger to European security and the  NATO alliance if he pursued the second course.

Steven Rose ● 94d

Sue, there is a real possibility that Trump might regain the US presidency - and I can think of a couple of US friends who think that makes it more attractive to live in France. According to the Pew Research Center about a third of Americans say it Trump’s election was God’s will:https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2020/03/12/about-a-third-in-u-s-see-gods-hand-in-presidential-elections-but-fewer-say-god-picks-winners-based-on-policies/I understand that God now accepts Trump may have superior knowledge of the realities of living on earth and is busy rewriting the ten commandments, with priority on allowing adultery and bearing false witness, as the previous versions are rather restrictive to modern life and politics ... :-)Interestingly, during the last US presidential election campaign, the one Bidon won, the US sister-in-law of one of my friends was told by the evangelist pastor at her church to vote for Trump. An interesting rumour, I think mentioned on R4's Americast, was that Trump could nominate one of his son's as vice President and might even abdicate before his term ended leaving Donald junior or Eric in charge (I guess Ivanka is out of favour?) … perhaps they were just joking :-)It's sad that in the whole of the US they can't find two candidates who will both be in their 80s, if not now, by the end of the next presidency. Still, I guess if one's in one's twenties or thirties running a technology based business like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, Tesla//Starlink/Space X, PayPal, ... gives one more global power - and is probably more fun?Looking at this Wikipedia site it seems that Trump's policies are often inconsistent and even contradictory; what does Donald believe in other than him and his fortune? I suppose that would at least keep Putin, Xi, and his chum Kim guessing what line he'd take?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Donald_Trump#:~:text=As%20president%2C%20Trump%20has%20pursued,conservative%20(Republican%20Party)%20policies.

Michael Ixer ● 95d