Forum Topic

Mr Hawkes. Have you researched your statement? While I'd agree that many of us who are now secular were indoctrinated in the Christian religion at home and school in our younger days - some parts quite sensible: love your neighbour, turn the other cheek, etc; although I'm not sure you subscribe to those from your comments here and elsewhere?Anyway, I couldn't in a quick search find any statistics to analyse quickly and simply. India made up over 9% of the current immigrants to the UK in 2021, with the EU making up about a third of immigrants that year. China, Nigeria and South African also featured in the top 10 countries of immigrants.So, I'd estimate approximately 40-50% of immigrants would be from countries with either a Christian background in the EU, perhaps secular from China or predominately Hindu (with some Sikhs) from India; like our very own prime minister most Hindus and their families seemto have integrated well - or as well as far as racism from the existing British population will allow them? (I'm sure we both remember the racist attitudes of who could rent certain properties or be employed to carry out some jobs?)Interesting, during the past couple of years non-EU immigration has increased so perhaps Brexit has diluted immigration from EU countries with a Christian background? Of course this is a very simplistic view; there's long term immigration where those of African descent, mainly via the West Indies, probably have a Christian background following indoctrination from missionaries in their home counties? And those from Pakistan with a mainly Muslim background. When looking at statistics there's an added complexity that some immigrants are on temporary work and student visas. It's of course untrue that all Muslims will not mix; some of my Muslim colleagues would come to the pub with Christian, Hindu, Sikh and secular colleagues, they just wouldn't drink - or, alternatively, they'd be happy to go for a chat over coffee.

Michael Ixer ● 86d

Mr CarterDoubtless child abuse is a crime committed by people of all races or ethnicities.However it appears that abuse on a large and organised scale seems to be carried out by gangs of immigrants of Pakistani heritage.My simple explanation for this is, though I may be wrong, that their Muslim religion gives them cover and a assumed rationale and forgiveness for their behaviour, for it seems to be  a faith where women are very much dominated by and subservient to men.However it may not be a religious issue but a cultural one for most of perpetrators seem to be peasants who have come to the UK from very backward parts of Pakistan where such attitudes and behaviour are deemed natural.And a political acceptance of 'multi culturalism' by Labour and others of the left, rather than pressure being bought to bear for immigrants to assimilate and live within our social mores is deemed 'racism'.It would also seem to me that it is foreign cultural standards that also account for a greater number of incidents of knife crime being carried out in areas of London with the largest number of Asian, middle eastern and and Afro-Caribbean immigrants.This is not to say of course that all such immigrants are violent but that those that are do seem to come from such communities.Sadiq Khan seems to have a strange plan for reducing such crime.It is said that Khan believes that the reason why people are getting stabbed is because the mobile phones in their pockets are so attractive, and thus they are almost begging to be stolen and for their owners to be knifed.He thinks the answer isn't to take more knives off the streets, but to get Apple and Google to make the phones less attractive so that murderous thieves aren't provoked into stealing them.To his credit however he is strongly calling for zombie and other such knives to be banned.But some see the rise in knife crime related to drug gang wars.The question is do the police feel they have Mayoral and Labour support to be more assertive in carrying out 'stop and search' where they think individuals are carrying knives.

John Hawkes ● 102d

It is worrying, Nick: my sympathies!There’s a piece in today’s Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/14/why-is-uk-being-hit-by-medicine-supply-shortages) that suggests that, although there are more general, Europe-wide issues like the impact of the war in Ukraine on supply chains,“….  industry insiders say there are problems peculiar to Britain. The plummeting value of the pound following the Brexit referendum has made it more expensive for the NHS to buy medicines. Then there is the voluntary scheme introduced by the government in 2019 in an attempt to ensure that NHS spending on branded medicines did not grow by more than 2% in a year. As of the end of 2023, there was a 26% levy on revenues of drug manufacturers earned beyond the cap. The companies claim it has made the UK an unattractive place to do business. It has, they say, acted as a drag on investment. From this year that cap will rise to allow a 4% annual rise in spending. The British Generic Manufacturers Association says the government is still penny pinching.Then there is a lack of joined up planning and communication. In 2015, guidance published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) prompted a hike in hormone replacement therapy (HRT) prescriptions but manufacturers proved unable to meet demand. There were still HRT shortages last year. In November 2022, pharmacists in the UK began reporting difficulties in procuring the antibiotic amoxicillin. At the same time Rishi Sunak was saying there was ample supply. A week later, a medicine shortage notification was issued, followed by an export ban. It is perhaps little wonder then that four in five pharmacy owners say they have experienced aggression from patients due to medicine supply issues. Patience with the system is also running out fast."

Richard Carter ● 103d