Forum Topic

Mr Hawkes. Antisemitism is wrong, full stop. (My father fought against it and the Nazis in WWII, being one of the first to be deployed as he volunteered for the Territorial Army because of what was going on in Germany and elsewhere. As it turned out he spent just over four years in a work camp in Silesia as a POW. Interestingly, he was never anti German, only anti Nazi/Facist. Also, seeing the devastation on making his way west to find allied troops when his guards ran off in the face of advancing Russian troops I believe he was disturbed by the devastation he saw in eastern Germany, and did wonder about the ethics of bombing Dresden - which I understood he also passed through earlier in the war - at such a late stage of the war, even though that action may have hastened his freedom by some weeks or months. Anyway that's an aside.)However, I feel we also have to be concerned to avoid the trap of Islamaphobia? I've worked, studied, lived next door to and befriended Muslims and not felt threatened by them. I think we may be considering specifically extremists, not the average person just trying to raise a family, earn a living and, generally, just trying to get on with their life not being hurt, or wanting to hurt anyone else?As an atheist I'm concerned with extremists of all religions - yes, I'm worried about Islamic fundamentalists in the middle east but the far right Christian evangelists in the US and the damage they could do to democracy scares me as well. However, in a free society people must be allowed to practice whatever religion they want provided they do it within secular law and don't force their beliefs on others. (I'd note looking at your post in another thread, if one uses Google I think all, or most, religions have been associated with child abuse scandals; perhaps it's the organised and controlling authoritarian nature and cultures of many religions that's the problem rather than any specific faith? And, of course, times have also changed since many religious texts were written so there's also a problem if they can't adapt - creationists obviously have a difficulty with cosmology!)I'm sure you won't agree with me but we all have our own perspectives on this based on background and experiences. A final comment: my father used to have this saying "praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"; by this he meant we pray to our own god for victory and then to kill the enemy while the opposition is doing the same - he told me once when he was refusing to go into a service and gave that as a reason he was threatened with being court marshalled!

Michael Ixer ● 101d

In my opinion BBC News and Current Affairs  is mostly staffed with people whose mindset is similar to that of ‘Guardian’ journalists i.e. left of centre, pro-Remain, more attuned to the needs of minorities rather than those of the majority and on the Middle East, more concerned with the right of Palestinians to statehood than the right of Israelis to live in security. These views, whether justified or not, constitute a political bias. However many BBC journalists, possibly because everyone they know thinks the same way, don’t see themselves as biased. They view themselves as holding civilised values which quite properly inform their work and they bristle with indignation when their objectivity is questioned. They don’t seem to understand that they are not free to operate like ‘Guardian’ journalists, whose readers can choose whether or not to buy the newspaper. Everyone who owns a television set is obliged to pay the BBC licence fee, whatever their views and whether they watch BBC programmes or not. For that reason BBC journalists are required to be impartial in their coverage of political issues.In the old days I think this was well understood by BBC staff. I had no idea what people like Robin Day, Peter Sissons, Jeremy Paxman or John Humphrys thought about the issues of the day. They kept their personal views to themselves. And still today there are some extremely professional journalists working at the BBC. Mark Urban and Faisal Islam of ‘Newsnight’ come to mind. But there are others who make little and in some cases no effort to conceal their personal opinions, or  who, more subtly, select  the information they give out in order to promote their views.As regards the conflict between Israel and Hamas, the worst offender is Gary Lineker, who yesterday shared a post from the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel calling for Israel to be banned from international football, though he has now removed this post. I think the time has come to let him go and save the Corporation £1.3 million pa which could be better spent elsewhere. I also think it is time to move on their Middle East editor, Jeremy Bowen, whose sympathy for the Palestinian cause is obvious to all. He blamed the Israelis right at the beginning of the war for a missile strike on the Al Ahli hospital when the conflagration (in the car park) was in fact caused by a defective rocket launched by Islamic Jihad. Later he tried to explain away the presence of Kalashnikovs, a car bomb and a tunnel at the Al Shifa hospital by saying that there are weapons everywhere in the Middle East. And I think that BBC management should tell Mishal Husain of the ‘Today’ programme, who is particularly aggressive in her questioning of Israeli officials, to cool it a bit.

Steven Rose ● 101d

"Paul Adams’ phrase implies that he agrees with the view that Israel is guilty of genocide and certainly that it is not an unreasonable view to take."It really does no such thing: try listening to the original broadcast from which this highly selective quote is taken (I think from Charles Moore's Daily Telegraph column of 12 January; it can be found on the BBC Six O'clock News of 11 January here, starting at about 15:30 in: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001v420https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001v420).Adams goes on to explain: "But the 1948 definition [of genocide] ... is an incredibly high bar to clear, and the South African team knows it has a mountain to climb" since it would have to establish both evidence of intent and a pattern of behaviour that can't be explained as anything other than genocide.In other words, he was simply describing as he should the South African case - otherwise, how would anyone know what it was? - as he was the following day when he described the Israeli case (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001v40y at around 19:40 in). And, in an article on the BBC news website on 13 January, he summarised the case for and against the claim(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67962302).The main point here is that the quote you so tendentiously described as "a blood libel" was no such thing, which only goes to illustrate that it is not a good idea to rely on quotes from the Telegraph, and especially not from the ridiculous Charles Moore.

Richard Carter ● 103d

The South African government has accused Israel of genocide at the International Court of Justice. The BBC's diplomatic correspondent, Paul Adams, began his analysis of the proceedings as follows:  'The last three months have been shocking enough, but hearing it all summed up by South Africa's lawyers is devastating. How, many will wonder, can this not be a story of genocide?'Now it is legitimate to criticise Israel's prosecution of the war. It can be argued that in seeking to eradicate Hamas Israel has disproportionately endangered the civilian population, many thousands of whom have died. But it is wholly unjustifiable to go from there to accuse Israel of genocide, which under international law means the 'intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, religious or racial group, as such'. If the Israelis had wanted to wipe out the population of Gaza, they could have done so in a few hours. In fact they have tried to warn the civilian population of impending attacks, which is more than the Allies ever did in the Second World War. (And when they advise civilians to move to safer area they are accused of the war crime of ethnic cleansing). The only group intent on genocide is Hamas, whose Charter actually advocates the extermination of the Jewish population of Israel and whose fighters called down curses on 'Jews' as they raped, mutilated and murdered their victims on October 7.  The accusation of genocide against Israel amounts to a new blood libel, even more ghastly than the myth current in the Middle Ages that the Jews used the blood of Christian children for ritual purposes. (My mother at school in Poland in the 1920s was actually asked by a classmate whether this was still true). What makes the accusation of genocide even more offensive is that the Jewish people only 80 years ago were the victims of possibly the worst genocide in human history.But what I find most depressing is that the BBC allows its correspondents to promote this libel. Is that what we pay our licence fee for?

Steven Rose ● 104d

Mr IxerWhat is racist about my colloquial description of many of those states that regularly condemn Israel as 'tinpot'?Tinpot is defined as '(especially of a country or its leader) having or showing poor leadership or organization'.This certainly applies to many/most of them.And to my mind this has resulted in many of them failing to come close to Israel in terms of being a democratic state with Jews and non-Jews (including Arabs) having voting rights and representatives in the Knesset; have a free judiciary; having a free press; having an  innovative and enterprising economy; having contributed much to the world in terms of technology, medicine and western culture especially of the popular genre.Why do you think this is the case ?It certainly should make them think twice before criticising Israel for defending itself against terrorists that threaten its exitance and that of its citizens. I have not found a simple definition of 'race' and therefor I am not sure what race I am a member of nor what race those countries I called 'tinpot are part of.These 90 odd countries I so described that regularly criticise Israel have a complete spectrum of skin colour and are part of every one of the world's continents.What has been defined is ethnicity for UK census purposes.The categories are -Asian or Asian BritishIndianPakistaniBangladeshiChineseAny other Asian backgroundBlack, Black British, Caribbean or AfricanCaribbeanAfricanAny other Black, Black British, or Caribbean backgroundMixed or multiple ethnic groupsWhite and Black CaribbeanWhite and Black AfricanWhite and AsianAny other Mixed or multiple ethnic backgroundWhiteEnglish, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish or BritishIrishGypsy or Irish TravellerRomaAny other White backgroundArabAny other ethnic group.I am confused about about people's views on Rwanda.Arsenal FC have been suggesting we visit this country for years so it must be a safe place !So why are many are criticising Sunak for wanting to divert 'boat people' there while their claims for asylum are tested and legitimised ?

John Hawkes ● 104d

Michael, this thread is supposed to be about Gaza, so I don't want to sidetrack the discussion too much in answer to your points.But briefly, I would not personally call Rwanda a tinpot, let alone a failed state, though it is obviously far from perfect. Despite its multi-party constitution it is de facto a one party state ruled by Paul Kagame who (though an Arsenal fan) is probably not a nice man. But I doubt whether  a country like Rwanda, which thirty years ago was torn apart by a horrific civil war in which 800 000 died, some of them hacked to death by their neighbours, can be ruled by a nice man. Kagame has put an end to sectarian violence and the present constitution outlaws parties based on race or clans.  Rwanda is relatively free of corruption, it is one of the cleanest countries in Africa, people pay their taxes and public services are maintained. In 2009, despite having no historical connection with Britain, it was admitted to the Commonwealth, where the criteria for membership include democracy and a respect for human rights. Indeed the King recently chaired a meeting of Commonwealth leaders in Kigali. So I don't think there is evidence to say that the plan to resettle illegal migrants in Rwanda is inhumane, let alone 'against the law of God', as the Archbishop of Canterbury opined.I don't disagree with your list of criticisms of this country. But at least the postmasters will now get justice and their persecutors will, hopefully, be held to account, however belatedly. On Liz Truss I would say that it is still an open question as to whether or not lowering taxes is the best way to stimulate the economy and generate the money needed to provide public services.

Steven Rose ● 105d

"Do not vote or support parties or organisations that have policies which support killing innocent people here or anywhere.  It is really that simple."That also leaves out the Labour & Conservative parties.Yes it does leave out Hamas and the Israeli government defence service.The mistake Richard makes is thinking there is a good and bad side to conflicts, when usually it is bad and very bad at best.The above statement doesn't mean that you can not facilitate peace it just means accepting the realities of the world and not siding with the lesser of two evils.In fact China has recently facilitated peace between Iran and Saudi Arabia. That would have been a role for a Western country in years past. As it stands there is no Western country that is trusted to facilitate peace.The EU primary objective was to maintain peace in Europe.Oh the hard line remainers bang on about trivial matters such as having to queue at airports when a million people have been killed in a conflict that the EU undertook to prevent but neglected to do so and later admitted they had no intention of fulfilling the agreement they signed.The US & UK scuppled a peace deal in Turkey now they want Ukraine to settle for a lesser deal, having used up too much Western resources.Who will broker such any future deal?Not the UK. Parliamentary sovereignty means international agreements are not guaranteed.Not Germany or France they do not believe in them.We need to get back on track. Countries are willing to forgive the UK's colonial past but what they will not and should not accept is double standards.It is not too late for the UK to play a positive role in world politics.But frankly if it is just going to follow US policy then lets at least simplify UK government to get rid of the bureaucracy and cost and of course we can scrap the foreign aid budget too. Replacing cities with plastic tents isn't good money spent. Nor is supporting citizens in countries that the UK has meddled in to destabilise.Lastly perhaps the part of Wandsworth that is considered safe should be larger than a 2m square gazebo outside Clapham Junction station only between certain hours before we consider ourselves qualified to police the rest of the world!

Ed Robinson ● 105d

Mr CarterOne might have thought it obvious in the past that the UN would lead the work to resolve the Israel/Palestine conflict.But unfortunately the UN now is dominated by many tinpot states that are corrupt economically and politically as is Palestine, many in the Middle East surrounding and threatening Israel, and who find its democracy and thriving economy compared to theirs, an embarrassment.Hence the numerous votes condemning Israel for behaviour far less egregious than theirs.Countries not criticised for their behaviour have included China, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Belarus, Cuba, Turkey, Pakistan, Vietnam, Algeria.But recently some sense from the UN Human Rights Committee that has criticised Venezuela, Kuwait, North Korea, Trinidad and Tobago and Iran for really violent crimes against minorities and women.Oh and to ensure 'balance' the USA - for the restrictions it places on the rights to abortion ! https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2023/11/un-human-rights-committee-publishes-findings-iran-kuwait-korea-trinidad-andBut even so, what could the UN do ?How would it give Gazans and other Palestinians a voice to democratically choose who would rule it ?You repeatedly refer to the democratically elected Israeli government as 'Netanyahu and his gang'.Hamas, and its leaders opulently residing in Qatar and Turkey with $11BM stashed away would not allow the people a free vote.How do you describe such leaders ?Kleptomaniacal dictators ?https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hamas-leaders-worth-staggering-11b-revel-in-luxury-while-gaza-s-people-suffer/ar-AA1jyuWmAnd I doubt if Israel really wants to take control other than in the short term to prevent Hamas fulfilling its Charter objective of destroying the state of Israel and all Jews in the area.So it probably does come back to the UN with the Security Council (particularly its grown up members) taking the lead over discussions on the situation.But, would Hamas participate as to do so would be a recognition of the right of Israel to exist and Jews to live in the Middle East.Would they do so ?Till then the situation will continue to be a war between the Arabs/Palestinians and Israel over the latter's existential future.To me that represents 'bad' vs 'good' and I know what side I am on.

John Hawkes ● 108d

For anyone with the required curiosity and fortitude I recommend the following piece by Jean-Pierre Filiu, a distinguished French professor who clearly knows what he is writing about.WHY GAZA MATTERSSince Antiquity, the Territory Has Shaped the Quest for Power in the Middle EastBy Jean-Pierre FiliuJanuary 1, 2024After nearly three months of Israel’s war on Gaza, one thing is beyond dispute: the long-isolated territory has returned to the center of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. For much of the past two decades, as Israel imposed an air, sea, and land blockade on Gaza, international leaders and bodies seemed to assume that the dense enclave of 2.3 million Palestinians could be indefinitely excluded from the regional equation. Catching Israel and much of the wider world completely off guard, Hamas’s October 7 attack exposed the enormous flaws in that assumption. Indeed, the war has now reset the entire Palestinian question, putting Gaza and its people squarely at the center of any future Israeli-Palestinian negotiation.But Gaza’s sudden new prominence should hardly come as a surprise. Although little of it is remembered today, the territory’s 4,000-year history makes clear that the last 16 years were an anomaly; the Gaza Strip has almost always played a pivotal part in the region’s political dynamics, as well as its age-old struggles over religion and military power. Since the British Mandate period in the early twentieth century, the territory has also been at the heart of Palestinian nationalism.Therefore, any attempt at rebuilding Gaza after such a devastating war will be unlikely to succeed if it does not take account of the territory’s strategic position in the region. The demilitarization of this enclave can be achieved only by lifting the disastrous siege and putting forward a positive vision for its economic development. Rather than trying to cut off the territory or isolate it politically, international powers must work together to allow Gaza to reclaim its historic role as a flourishing oasis and a thriving crossroads, connecting the Mediterranean with North Africa and the Levant. The United States and its allies must recognize that Gaza will need to have a central part in any lasting solution to the Palestinian struggle.THE JEWEL IN THE CROWNIn stark contrast to its present-day reality of impoverishment, extreme water shortages, and unending human misery, the oasis of Gaza, or Wadi Ghazza, was celebrated for centuries for the lushness of its vegetation and the coolness of its shade. As important, however, was its strategic value, for Gaza connects Egypt to the Levant. Its advantageous position has meant that the land has been contested since the seventeenth century BC, when the Hyksos invaded the Nile Delta from Gaza, only to be later defeated and repelled by a Theban-based dynasty of pharaohs. Eventually, the pharaohs had to abandon Gaza to the Sea Peoples—known as Philistines—who in the twelfth century BC established a five-city federation that included Gaza and the now Israeli cities of Ashkelon, Ashdod, Ekron, and Gath.Violent tensions erupted over access to the sea between the Philistines and the neighboring Jewish tribes and then kingdoms. Thus the biblical story of Samson, the legendary Israelite warrior who sets out to defeat the Philistines. As his formidable strength depends on his hair never being cut, he is rendered powerless when he falls under the spell of Delilah, who has his head shaved during his sleep, and winds up in a Gaza prison. While in captivity, however, his hair grows back, restoring his strength, and when he is finally dragged out of his cell to be ridiculed in a Philistine temple, he brings down the pillars of the building, killing himself along with his enemies. In a similar vein, it is after killing the Philistine Goliath that young David begins his effort to unify the kingdoms of Judah and Israel.In later antiquity, Gaza’s coveted geography made it a crucial battleground between some of the epoch’s greatest hegemons. After passing through the hands of the Assyrians and the Babylonians, Gaza was captured by Cyrus the Great’s Persia in the mid-sixth century. But the real shock came two centuries later, in 332 BC, when Alexander the Great of Macedonia launched a devastating hundred-day siege of Gaza on his way to Egypt. During this gruesome war, both sides fortified their positions by digging numerous tunnels beneath Gaza’s loose soil—providing a historic antecedent to Hamas’s strategy against Israel today. In the end, Alexander’s forces came out on top, but at a high cost to all sides. Alexander was injured during the siege and took terrible revenge on the defeated Gazans: much of the male population was slaughtered, and the women and children reduced to slavery.But Gaza’s importance extended beyond its military value. Having become a city-state during the Hellenistic period, it later became a major religious center in the early centuries of first Christianity and then Islam. In 407 AD, Porphyry, the Christian bishop of Gaza, managed to impose a church on the ruins of Gaza’s main pagan temple to Zeus. Even more famous was another local saint, Hilarion (291–371), who founded an important monastic community in Gaza and whose tomb became a hugely popular pilgrimage site. One of the prophet Muhammad’s great-grandfathers was a merchant from Mecca named Hashem ibn Abd Manaf, who died in Gaza around 525. As a result, after the territory was conquered by Muslim armies in the seventh century, Muslims respectfully referred to it as “Hashem’s Gaza.” (In the nineteenth century, the Ottomans built the Hashem Mosque in Gaza City to mark the site of Hashem’s mausoleum.)Any attempt at rebuilding Gaza will be unlikely to succeed if it does not take account of the territory’s strategic position.Between the medieval period and the nineteenth century, Gaza continued to serve as a coveted prize in the region’s major power struggles. It seesawed between Christian crusaders and Muslim defenders in the twelfth century and Mamluk generals and Mongol invaders in the thirteenth. During two and a half centuries under the Mamluks—Turkic rulers who controlled medieval Egypt and Syria—Gaza entered a kind of golden age. The territory was endowed with numerous mosques, libraries, and palaces, and it prospered from the renewed coastal trade routes. In 1387, a fortified caravanseray or khan, a kind of trading and market hub, was established at the southern end of Gaza and soon grew into a city of its own, Khan Yunis.Gaza was absorbed by the Ottoman Empire in 1517 and conquered, briefly, by Napoleon Bonaparte’s army, after it invaded Egypt in 1798. For much of this span, Gaza was renowned for its fruitful climate, congenial natives, and high quality of life. In 1659, one French traveler described it as “a very cheerful and agreeable place”; two centuries later, another, the French writer Pierre Loti, marveled at its “vast fields of barley all clothed in green.”When the border was drawn in 1906 to separate British-controlled Egypt from Ottoman Palestine, it ran through the city of Rafah to create a de facto free trade zone between the two empires. But during World War I, the border was fiercely contested by British and Ottoman forces; after three attempts, the British Army finally broke through Ottoman lines in 1917. General Edmund Allenby entered the devastated city of Gaza on November 9, the same day his government made public the Balfour Declaration and its commitment to “the establishment of a national home for the Jewish people in Palestine.” This endorsement of the Zionist program was later incorporated into the mandate that the League of Nations granted Britain to administer Palestine.Although Gaza was one of the areas of Palestine least targeted by Zionist settlement, it became a stronghold of Palestinian nationalism, especially during the Great Arab Revolt of 1936–39, in which Palestinian Arabs rose up against the British and fought unsuccessfully for an independent Arab state. Instead, in November 1947, the United Nations endorsed a partition plan in which Palestine would be divided between an Arab state and a Jewish one—the original two-state solution—with Gaza joining the Arab state.SEEDS OF STRUGGLECrucially, what became known as the Gaza Strip was shaped by the pivotal traumas of 1948. First came the failure of the UN’s partition plan, which, although welcomed by the Zionist leadership, was flatly rejected by Palestinian nationalists and the Arab states, setting off an armed conflict between Jews and Arabs. Soon, the first waves of Arab refugees, mainly from the Jaffa area, were arriving in Gaza; in a bitter anticipation of today’s international dilemma, the British suggested that the area would have better access to humanitarian relief overland from Cairo. Then, following the Zionist leader David Ben-Gurion’s proclamation of the state of Israel in May 1948, neighboring Arab states attacked, with 10,000 Egyptian soldiers moving into Gaza. But the Egyptians never made it farther than Ashdod, some 20 miles north of Gaza, where they were soon pushed back by a daring Israeli operation.By January 1949, the Israelis had not only defeated the Arab armies but also driven some 750,000 Palestinians from their homes, in what became known as the nakba, or catastrophe. The armistice signed between Israel and Egypt under UN auspices in February of that year created the Gaza Strip, a territory under Egyptian administration and defined by the cease-fire lines in the north and east and by the 1906 border with Egypt in the south. After centuries as a strategic crossroads and vital commercial hub for regional trade, Gaza had been reduced to a “strip” of land, cornered by the desert, and cut off from what had been Palestine. On top of that, the local population of some 80,000 was now overwhelmed by some 200,000 refugees from all over Palestine who then described the Gaza Strip as their “Noah’s ark.”There was no infrastructure to welcome these refugees, and during the first winter of 1948–49, the International Committee of the Red Cross estimated that ten children died every day from cold, hunger, or disease. The immensity of the Sinai Desert forced the survivors to remain in the enclave. Indeed, 25 percent of the Arab population of British Mandate Palestine was now confined in the Gaza Strip to just one percent of its former territory, with Israel absorbing 77 percent of that territory and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan another 22 percent, through its annexation of East Jerusalem and the West Bank.Such was the magnitude of the nakba that the United Nations created a special body, the UN Relief for Palestinian Refugees (UNRPR), to deal with the humanitarian crisis. For Palestinians, the terrible upheaval also planted the seeds of a new struggle that would continue to the present day. In December 1948, the same UN General Assembly that had approved the failed partition plan a year earlier enshrined the Palestinian refugees’ “right of return”—whether by way of actual repatriation or mere monetary compensation—a concept that has been central to Palestinian aspirations ever since. It had special meaning in Gaza, given the extraordinary number of refugees there, and since Egypt had no territorial claim on the strip, the enclave became a natural incubator for Palestinian nationalism.Mohammed Salem / ReutersAs Israel’s first leader, Ben-Gurion understood the long-term threat Gaza posed before almost any of his fellow Israelis. At the UN peace conference in Lausanne, in 1949, he proposed annexing the Gaza Strip and allowing 100,000 Palestinian refugees into their former homes in Israel. But the plan generated an uproar in both Israel, where there was enormous opposition to any return of Palestinians, and Egypt, where the defense of Gaza had become a national cause. As a result, the UN admitted its impotence to settle the Arab-Israeli dispute, terminating the Lausanne conference and establishing open-ended “interim” institutions instead. Thus, the UNRPR was turned into the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), which ever since has been the main employer and main provider of social services in Gaza. Eight refugee camps were founded in the enclave, the largest ones being Jabalya, in the far north, and the Beach Camp, on the shoreline of Gaza City—the same camps that have now been destroyed by the Israeli onslaught.In fact, it took some years before Gazan refugees turned to militant activism. At first, both Israel and Egypt managed to tamp down on the so-called fedayeen—guerrilla fighters mainly drawn from the camps in Gaza who sought to infiltrate Israel. But by the mid-1950s, the Egyptian leader Gamal Abdel Nasser began using them for proxy raids against Israel, thus beginning the cycle of attacks and reprisals that is so closely associated with the territory today. In April 1956, the security officer of a kibbutz close to the Palestinian enclave was killed by infiltrators from Gaza, causing Moshe Dayan, the Israeli chief of staff, to warn Israelis of the unresolved grievances simmering in the territory: “Let us not, today, cast the blame on the murderers,” Dayan said. “For eight years now, they have sat in the refugee camps in Gaza, and before their eyes we have turned their lands and villages, where they and their fathers dwelt, into our home.”Eradicating the fedayeen presence from Gaza became a top priority for Ben-Gurion and Dayan. In November 1956, the Israeli army took control of the strip as part of a coordinated offensive with France and the United Kingdom against Nasser’s Egypt. During four months of occupation, around a thousand Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces (including two massacres documented by UNRWA in which at least 275 were executed in Khan Yunis and 111 in Rafah). The trauma was so profound that when the Israelis withdrew under U.S. pressure, the Palestinian population called for the return of Egyptian rule instead of the UN trusteeship that had initially been envisioned. A historic opportunity to build a Palestinian entity that could evolve into a state had been lost. Meanwhile, the fedayeen fled to Kuwait, where they founded, in 1959, the Palestinian Liberation Movement, known as Fatah, with Yasser Arafat as its leader.Israel’s second occupation of Gaza started in June 1967, after the Israeli triumph in the Six-Day War. Dayan, now minister of defense, with the future prime minister Yitzhak Rabin as his chief of staff, erased any trace of the border between Gaza and Israel, betting that the attraction of the Israeli labor market would dissolve Palestinian nationalism. But the local population nonetheless supported for four years a low-intensity guerrilla war, until Ariel Sharon, the Israeli commander for the region (also later prime minister), bulldozed parts of the refugee camps and broke the back of the insurgency. Today, the Israeli army is using the very same map that Sharon did to distinguish the so-called “safe areas” from the combat zones in the ongoing offensive.MAKING A MONSTERIsrael’s more visionary leaders had long recognized that the Gaza refugee problem would not go away. In 1974—following Ben-Gurion—Sharon proposed resettling tens of thousands of Palestinian refugees in Israel to address Palestinian grievances, at least symbolically. But once again, the idea was rejected. Instead, Israel started to play off the Muslim Brothers in Gaza, led by Sheikh Yassin, against the now Fatah-controlled nationalists of the mainstream Palestinian Liberation Organization. Notably, the Israeli military governor attended the inauguration of Yassin’s mosque in Gaza in 1973, and six years later, Israel allowed the Islamists to receive foreign funds while repressing any established connection with the PLO.For a time, this divide-and-conquer policy seemed to work well for Israel in Gaza, with clashes flaring between nationalists and Islamists in 1980. But by the late 1980s, an entire generation had grown up under the constant pressure of the Israeli settlers who, though numbering only in the low thousands, led the occupying army to exclude the already cramped Gazan population from one-fourth of the enclave. It was in Gaza’s Jabalya refugee camp that the first intifada began, in December 1987, from which it soon spread to the whole strip and then to the West Bank. Young Palestinians defied the Israeli military with their stones and slingshots but also forced Arafat and the PLO to endorse the two-state solution. In response, Yassin transformed his organization into Hamas (an acronym for the “Movement for Islamic Resistance”) accusing the PLO of having betrayed the “holy” duty to “liberate Palestine.” Once again, Israeli intelligence played on those tensions to weaken the intifada and waited until May 1989 to imprison Yassin. But the popular uprising went on until support for peace in Israel brought Rabin to office as prime minister, in July 1992.In opening secret talks with the PLO, Rabin’s priority was to disengage Israel from the Gaza Strip yet still protect the Israeli settlers there. The Oslo accords, signed in September 1993, created a Palestinian Authority to take charge of territories evacuated by Israel. Arafat moved into Gaza ten months later, believing he had himself liberated the territory, or at least the portion under Palestinian control, while the local population was convinced it had paid the hardest price for such a liberation. This misunderstanding, along with the rampant corruption of the PA, played directly into the hands of Hamas. In 1997, a botched Israeli intelligence operation against the Hamas leader Khalid Meshal in Jordan led to the arrest of Israeli agents. To secure their release, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was forced to hand over Yassin, who had been serving a life sentence in Israel and who returned triumphantly to Gaza.Hamas’s growing aggressiveness and the crisis of the peace process led to the eruption of the second intifada in September 2000. The shocking wave of suicide attacks helped bring Sharon to power in a February 2001 landslide. After laying siege to Arafat in Ramallah and killing Yassin in Gaza, Sharon believed that his victory would be complete only after the Israeli evacuation of the Gaza Strip. Such a unilateral withdrawal was meant to secure a new Israeli defense line around the enclave and was carried out without any consultation with Mahmoud Abbas, who had succeeded Arafat as head of the PLO and the PA. But Sharon’s gamble ruined the ambitious $3 billion development plan for Gaza that James Wolfensohn, the special envoy of the Quartet for the Middle East (Russia, the United States, the European Union, and the United Nations) had designed.Hamas naturally claimed the Israeli withdrawal as a victory and went on to win the internationally sponsored parliamentary elections a few months later, in January 2006. Embarrassed by the unforeseen outcome, the United States and the European Union decided to boycott Hamas until it recognized Israel and renounced violence. But by the following year, the unreformed Hamas, having killed hundreds of its rivals, had gained total control of the strip, which was then put under full Israeli blockade (with the cooperation of Egypt, which controls the Rafah crossing point in the south). In many ways, Israeli policies had brought Hamas to power in Gaza, a power that the blockade has only consolidated since then.A PATH TO PEACE?A legacy of the policies that have been followed since 2006, the current war between Israel and Hamas is also a result of the denial of Gaza’s rich historical identity. During the past 16 years, Israeli leaders thought they had found the optimal formula for sidelining Gaza entirely: more than two million Palestinians could be excluded from the demographic equation between the Jewish and Arab populations in Israel, East Jerusalem, and the West Bank; and the PA, blinded by its bitter feud with Hamas, resisted any effort to alleviate the blockade in Gaza, an approach that further undermined the PA’s already waning legitimacy. Meanwhile, the division of the Palestinian leadership doomed any effort to revive the peace process and allowed the Israeli settlements to steadily expand in the West Bank. From time to time, Israel engaged in what counterterrorism experts described as “lawn-mowing” wars on Gaza, with, from its point of view, a sustainable ratio of largely military casualties, although the Palestinian killed were mainly civilians. In 2009, 13 Israeli soldiers were killed, and 1,417 Palestinians. In 2012, the ratio was six Israelis to 166 Palestinians. In 2014 it was 72 Israelis to 2,251 Palestinians, and in 2021, 15 to 256. Meanwhile, the European Union and the Gulf states were always ready to foot the bill to reconstruct the ruins in the strip.But the idea that the terrible human reality of Gaza could be simply ignored was a delusion. On October 7, 2023, the status quo collapsed in Hamas’s horrific killing spree. The unprecedented violence that Israel has been unleashing on Gaza ever since, in which more than 21,000 Palestinians have so far been killed—and, in a cruel replay of the memories of the nakba, an overwhelming majority of its 2.3 million inhabitants have been uprooted from their homes—has sent shock waves through the Middle East and beyond. Netanyahu’s declared war aim—the “eradication” of Hamas—echoes those of Ben-Gurion in 1956, only on a much larger scale and with the whole world watching. Even supposing such a goal can be accomplished, there will be no Nasser to bring order to the enclave after the Israeli withdrawal. So Israel seems destined to be haunted by the very “Gaza Strip” it created in 1948, with the continuing cycle of wars and occupation leading only to more radical Palestinian activism.For the Israelis and the Palestinians to ultimately enjoy the peace and security they so deeply deserve, Gaza must once again return to its roots as the prosperous crossroads it was for centuries. To start with, the policy of siege and blockade must end, allowing the territory to finally reconnect with the rest of the region. At the same time, drawing on Gaza’s historic role as a major trading hub, a concerted strategy of redevelopment, echoing Wolfensohn’s 2005 plan, must be put in place to allow Gaza to move from international assistance to a self-generating economy. This is the key for the territory to be demilitarized under international supervision and in the framework of a two-state solution.Of course, it will be extremely difficult to make any of this happen, particularly after a ruthless war that threatens to spawn a new generation of Palestinian militancy. But there are no easy solutions left. This strategy might be the only way out of the current murderous spiral. As it has been for centuries, Gaza is once again at the center of a major war but also the key to peace and prosperity in the Middle East.

Alexander MacLeod ● 113d