Forum Topic

I think that's a rather simplistic analysis, Mr Hawkes. To be honest I can't be bothered to discuss it but I can think of a couple of people previously of Dutch and French nationality who became British citizen s who probably wouldn't fit into your binary categorisation - as I used to say to my IT teams, we deal in binary digits of back and white (or light on and dark off) but remember that the real world is analogue and a spectrum of colours :-) However, your analysis should take into account that the UK bound itself voluntary to an international agreement that it would not make anyone stateless by recinding UK citizenship. Of course Mr Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was born in the USA and apparently Mr Nigel Paul Farage has never denied rumours he holds a German passport. Perhaps because of the damage Brexit has done, such as the border between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, their British citizenships could be revoked! Interestingly, that might put Boris Johnson in a similar position as Shamima Begun; as he revoked his own US citizenship to avoid Federal Capital Gains Tax they might say it's now irrelevant he was born in the US in the same was that Bangladesh says Begun, despite her as Bangladeshi heritage, doesn't qualify as she failed to apply before the necessary age :-)
(There's some online evidence Farage's application for German citizenship was challenged because of an alleged false statement https://skwawkbox.org/2019/04/23/farage-applied-for-german-passport-on-day-after-2016-referendum-and-did-not-deny-having-one/ so he might be in limbo too …)

Michael Ixer ● 418d

Apparently "Salman Ramadan Abedi's father was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, a Salafi jihadist organisation proscribed by the United Nations, and father and son fought for the group in Libya in 2011 as part of the movement to overthrow Muammar Gaddafi. Abedi's parents, both born in Tripoli, remained in Libya in 2011, while 17-year-old Abedi returned to live in the United Kingdom. He took a gap year in 2014, when he returned with his brother Hashem to Libya to live with his parents. Abedi was injured in Ajdabiya that year while fighting for an Islamist group. The brothers were rescued from Tripoli by the Royal Navy survey ship HMS Enterprise in August 2014 as part of a group of 110 British citizens as the Libyan civil war erupted, taken to Malta and flown back to the UK."Salman Ramadan Abedi, the Manchester Bomber, was born in the UK. He fought as part of a jihadist group against Gaddafi in Libya in 2011. The UK (with NATO) also fought to overthrow Gaddafi in Libya in 2011. So, for a while, he was a terrorist on our side, helping to create unending chaos in Libya (another Cameron benefit).You don't seem to have any real way at all of linking Ernesto Elliott to Begum. For him you write "Anyway, a nasty piece of work better off in his own country than ours." But for Begum you think that she is better off in some other country than ours (which is also her own country).And do you favour the deportation of those 900 Syria returnees? Surely as threats you must think that they are similar to Begum? And doubtless some were born here, like the "London Bridge stabber". If one Begum is the the threat that you believe she is, then this 900 must be a massive threat.

David Ainsworth ● 419d

Mr AinsworthLooks like the father of the bombers did manage to get British Citizenship.Just shows what mugs we are - erring on the side of dodgy asylum claimants and putting indigenous Brits at risk.'The inquiry also heard the father of the Abedi brothers was thought to have lied during his asylum application, but later received British citizenship.Ramadan Abedi arrived in the UK with his wife Samia in July 1993, applying for asylum five days later.The court heard it had initially been refused, with Mr Greaney saying this "had been based on the assessment of the Home Office that Ramadan's claims regarding employment in the security services in Libya were false".He added that further considerations were "that the claimed nature of his departure from Libya was not credible… That there were, it was thought, numerous inconsistencies in his application… That he had produced a forged medical letter in relation to his wife.. and that he had failed to claim asylum in Tunisia which was one of his points on his journey to the United Kingdom".But the inquiry heard Ramadan Abedi persisted with appeals and was eventually granted refugee status in 1997.He was then refused British citizenship in September 2004 on "character grounds" as a result of previous convictions, before eventually receiving it three years later.The inquiry heard he was stopped by police when travelling to Libya in 2011 and he claimed he was involved in aid convoys giving medical aid to Libyan rebels, and denied being involved in military activity.But the hearing was told that his sister later told detectives that he had gone to Libya to fight and had received a shrapnel wound while doing so'.I cannot find if Ernesto Elliott had British citizenship.He is just reported as being a Jamaican national.He used 'the 'right to family life' (sic) as a reason as to why he should not be removed.Apt really as his son also attacked Elliott's victim with a knife (bless !).Anyway, a nasty piece of work better off in his own country than ours.His case against deportation was supported by, of course, Jeremy Corbyn, Diane Abbott and Baroness Shami Chakrabarti.Similarities with Begum ?She also was a risk to British citizens as she joined ISIL, jihadists who violently condemn all in the British way of life.As did the Manchester bomber, the London Bridge stabber and his charming father.It has also been reported that Begum had developed a reputation as an enforcer amongst other members of ISIL and had tried to recruit other young women to join the group, claims to having had no qualms that non-ISIS Arabs were decapitated.  As for only 40 out of 900 Syrian/Iraqi 'travellers' being successfully prosecuted - a) I am sure it is very difficult to make a case in our courts. Where these people come from they would probably just be taken outside and shot. b) How many of the others are just 'sleeping' as assessment must be difficult and subject to stringent legal oversite and public condemnation by 'celebs' and Labour politicians.Anyway, I doubt if I can convince you of my position.Just hope neither you or I are on the next bus or in the next concert hall that is bombed.

John Hawkes ● 419d

Far be it for me to challenge a fashionably progressive Supreme Court judge like Sumption and Mr Ainsworth regarding the attempt to deprive Shamima Begum of UK citizenship, but I'll give it a go !And let's remember she does have the right to live in Bangladesh where her family are from. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nationality-and-borders-bill-deprivation-of-citizenship-factsheet/nationality-and-borders-bill-deprivation-of-citizenship-factsheet"What is ‘deprivation of citizenship’?Maintaining our national security and keeping the public safe are the government’s top priorities.Removing someone’s British citizenship, also known as deprivation of citizenship, is used against those who obtained citizenship by fraud and against the most dangerous people, such as terrorists, extremists and serious organised criminals. It always comes with a right of appeal.The power has been possible for over a century, since the 1914 British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act. It is currently in section 40 of the British Nationality Act 1981 and can be used for two reasons.1. Deprivation of citizenship where it is conducive to the public good is reserved for those who pose a threat to the UK or whose conduct involves very high harm, for example in response to activities such as those involving:- national security including espionage and acts of terrorism- unacceptable behaviour such as the ‘glorification’ of terrorism- war crimes- serious organised crimeIn such cases the power is used sparingly and complies with the UN Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness. The Home Secretary decides each case personally".So it seems like due process was and is being carried out in regard to this silly little girl, who glorified terrorism.However I would always err firmly on the side of the state and the safety of its citizens for perhaps then we will see less of incidents such as the Manchester  bombing carried out by Salman Ramadan Abedi, a 22-year-old local man of Libyan ancestry, aided by the bomber's brother, Hashem Abedi, who was found guilty of 22 counts of murder and attempting to murder 1,017 others, and was sentenced to life in prison.Their parents Ramadan Abedi and Samia Tabbal fled Libya in 1993, claiming asylum in the UK on the basis that they faced persecution under the regime of Muammar Gaddafi. The couple went on to establish new lives in south Manchester.But the conflict back in Libya loomed large in the Abedi household, with the family shuttling between Manchester and Tripoli. Ramadan was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), an Islamist organisation opposed to Gaddafi, the Manchester Arena inquiry heard.Now the counter terrorist units and MI5 are being given a lot of stick, particularly from the Guardian, for not preventing all of this.Harsh condemnation of the family seems much less.And what about Jamaican criminal Ernesto Elliott . He was  due to be aboard a Home Office charter flight in December 2020, but dodged efforts to remove him thanks to last-minute human rights appeals by Labour MPs and a host of celebrities; not just air-brained 'super models' like Naomi Campbell but also black rights activist and TV celeb historian David Olusoga.Elliott went on to commit murder 6 months later of a 35-year-old man in a horrific knife fight (over drugs of course) and we will have to pay for his incarceration for the next 26 years. I wonder how many of those mentioned actually had British citizen ship and of they did not why was not more effort put into sending them back to whence they came.

John Hawkes ● 419d

Interesting letter to the Guardian by Jonathan Sumption:-"The real scandal of the Shamima Begum citizenship caseFormer supreme court justice Jonathan Sumption on last week’s ruling on the home secretary’s decision to deprive Begum of her citizenship. Sun 26 Feb 2023 18.51 GMT"Prof Conor Gearty complains about the special immigration appeals commission’s “deference” to the government in its judgment on Shamima Begum (Shamima Begum has shown up courts’ deference to this government. It’s a worrying new era, 23 February). Decisions on deprivation of citizenship are required by statute to be made by the home secretary. The commission’s job was therefore to decide whether the home secretary’s decision was properly made, not whether it agreed with it. That is what it did. In a democracy governed by the rule of law, Prof Gearty should not have been surprised.Meanwhile, his analysis distracts attention from the real scandal. By statute, the home secretary cannot deprive a person of British citizenship if it would render them stateless. The person must have citizenship of at least one other country. When the decision was made, in 2019, Ms Begum was 19. She was a citizen of Bangladesh, but only in the most technical sense. She had provisional citizenship until she was 21, when it would lapse unless she took it up. This was because her parents were born there. But she has never been to Bangladesh. She has no links with the country. And Bangladesh has disowned her. Her Bangladeshi citizenship always was a legal fiction. Today, it is not even that. She is 23. As a result of the home secretary’s decision, she is stuck in a camp in Syria, with no citizenship anywhere and no prospect of one. Children who make a terrible mistake are surely redeemable. But statelessness is for ever.Many of those deprived of citizenship under the British Nationality Act are in the same position. They have had thrust on them under the law of an alien country a citizenship which they never chose and which has no practical reality. If not the courts, then parliament needs to address this issue.Jonathan SumptionJustice of the Supreme Court, 2012-18

David Ainsworth ● 424d

Sue. Yes, agreed, there is a danger with generalising. For a start, there are several decades between his spying activities and Begum's support of IS, and things change. I'd agree UK security agencies are now trying to recruit a more diverse workforce. Of course, Blunt was recruited by Soviet communists; perhaps because of his likely contacts within the British establishment? The same establishment which seemed happy to cover up his anti British acts and let him work with the Queen?Begum does not qualify for Bangladeshi citizenship as she didn't apply before the age deadline. My concern is the UK seems to see nothing wrong in breaching its international agreement that says it shouldn't leave anyone stateless. (IS doesn't count as to my knowledge it's not a legally recognised state and certainly isn't a UN member.) I suspect the original decision came out of incompetence because someone wanted to make a political point - they missed the subtle point about the age limit on Bangladeshi citizenship applications, perhaps they wanted to create a difficult situation for Bangladesh deliberately? They might be decades apart and circumstances are different but punishing a mistake a girl made at the age of fifteen without a trial while letting a known criminal into the royal household seems to be an imbalance in justice?

Perhaps the UK security agencies knew about the Canadian involvement and decided that it was in their interest to keep quiet? Let's be honest, the truth behind the involvement of many of those involved won't be known for what least another fifty years!This one will run! And, yes, the ones doing well will be the lawyers! It might less costly to bring her back to the UK for a trial?

Michael Ixer ● 429d