Forum Topic

"Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea is the richest Borough in London"Philippa,we are decades after Thatcher and the right to buy. It is amazing that people either pretend those policies and the decades that followed did not exist or perhaps forget forget when politically convenient.The above thread makes clear the complexities of leasehold.Grenfell would have consisted of a mixture of leasehold and council/housing association tenants.The cost for any work on the building legally has to be shared on whatever formulae is in the lease.The local authority can give small amounts for residential improvements but imagine if it paid totally for the refit and those leaseholders paid nothing.Some of those leaseholders may be residents but some may have also let their properties. Effectively the local authority would be subsidising private landlords. You can imagine the uproar.We are in 2023 decades after Thatcher whose policies both major parties have broadly supported.Be it water (or should we call it sewage), rail, energy, housing, the list goes on a lot of today's issues goes back to Thatcher and the Thatcherite government be them blue or red that followed.Now there is some good things, even excellent things the Thatcher government did. Sadly they are under appreciated. Perhaps my view above is incorrect. Happy to be corrected.I'm not excusing incompetent management which may be the case here.I'm just stating as a lay person that the wealth of the borough does not mean they are free to spend local government money on a block of flats after they have sold the leases on some of them.https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/news/grenfell-leaseholders-concerned-council-valuations-for-their-flats-are-not-enough-53377

Ed Robinson ● 449d