Forum Topic

ULEZ Expansion

If you object to expansion of the ULEZ zone, contact Councillor Claire Gilbert (email cllr.c.gilbert@wandsworth.gov.uk) to voice your concerns so that she can raise them at the Citizens Assembly on air quality in April.Apart from the Mayor's biased interpretation of his 'consultation', Sadiq Khan has contradicted his claims of benefits to air quality by simultaneously announcing that hospital admissions of asthmatic children in London, SINCE the zone was expanded to the Nth/Sth Circular Rds, have actually risen by 64%. This doesn't suggest that ULEZ is working. He also rejected votes from a motoring organisation which polled drivers yet, when he realised the consultation wasn't going his way, himself spent public money on advertising and lobbying 18-30 y.o's on social media. He can't have it both ways. We live in Putney, just outside of the Sth Circular, and already can't pop down to the High Street in our car without incurring a £12.50 charge. From August, unless the scheme is scrapped, we won't even be able to leave our driveway to shop in Kingston, or even our local Asda supermarket in Roehampton, without incurring the charge. We would rather spend our money in our own borough. The Mayor's scrappage scheme won't help either because many less well off folk simply can't find the difference to buy another car. It will only help those who can. Apart from anything, scrapping perfectly serviceable vehicles while the manufacture and disposal of electric vehicles causes such damage to the environment, makes no sense either environmentally or fiscally.As for Putney High Street pollution levels, we all know it's exacerbated by traffic being diverted from Hammersmith Bridge, so it shouldn't be held up as an example for justification.

Roy Robart ● 462d78 Comments

"Please don't forget that a consultation is just that - a consultation. Not a Yes/No vote""a consultation is advisory only"A bit like the referendum!Everything is advisory in the UK.Never a good idea to ask questions when you do not really to know the answer.Difficult to form an absolute opinion on the expansion when all the facts have not been shared but can we not push the following rubbish:"with a car that is not ULEZ compliant, selfishly wants to go on being free to pollute the atmosphere; time for that to stop for the health of everyone."It implies that ULEZ compliant cars do not pollute - they do. Some more than non-compliant ones.We need accurate data and transparency.I have not seen how many cars are registered in the expanded zone that are not ULEZ compliant. (Cars passing through is a different measure).But what we do know is it will cost £160m plus £110m for scrappage and generate between £100m-£300m in the first year which will fall to nothing by 2027.I would like to see the predicted fall of non-compliant cars during that period if there was no ULEZ to compare with.I could then make a judgment if that was the best way to bring down pollution.My current thoughts are the tariff needs to change to target more vehicles and this should be done with the existing ULEZ first.But if Khan does this he will not get his third term.However the cash is needed to expand services to enable people to switch to greener transport.With high bicycle thefts and lack of storage not to mention low utilisation of personal bicycles, I think dockless community bi/tricycles may offer the best green and economic option.

Ed Robinson ● 462d