Forum Topic

Thanks, Ed. Interesting - in part in that website didn't appear in my Google searche attempts to find previous and discontinued TfL bus routes; I must be losing my touch. Yes, I'm not disputing Roehampton is in the same constituency as Putney. I'm guessing that the southern part of the route was a casualty of the Hammersmith Bridge debacle as the route was operated from north of the river? Or it was an excuse to shorten it? I guess political focus was on the closure of the bridge? That is a guess and I'm not saying it's right - my guess or the political focus! Of course in my view the 14 and 74 route closures were part of TfL being a political football between the Labour Mayor and Conservative Transport Minister. I think Fleur was correct in fighting against the closure of those routes; she has also been actively campaigning to get the funding for and work started on Hammersmith Bridge (again, in my opinion, that's another political ping pong match). The government has to accept (as you've noted, I believe?) that affordable, convenient and safe public transport is part of the solution to slowing climate change and reducing pollution. The problem with Conservative petitions is that they're used as a method to grab one's contact details and then spam one with disinformation for years :-)(And to add to my previous post, the 220, 270, 37 & 337 are also useful bus routes in East Putney; particularly when there's tube or rail strikes - although I did nearly get stranded in Tooting when the 270 drivers were also striking at the same time as RMT workers!)

Michael Ixer ● 436d