Forum Topic

Michael W. Agreed, I don't think anyone did say sanctions would work quickly but conversely I don't recall the downside of them being pointed out at the outset? I'd agree that the "do nothing" wasn't an option because of probably long term consequences. I do suspect "the west" (I'm not comfortable with that term but it's convenient) hoped sanctions might set public opinion in Russia against Putin more immediately, but did they underestimation the extent to which Putin controls the media and manipulates Russian public opinionDependency on a resources is surely based on both affordability and availability of its supply which includes the delivery method? Perhaps I could have phrased it better?Maybe there is an increased interest in renewables but the message I got from our government seems to be about fracking and North Sea developments, perhaps I've isunderstood it? I'd like to be wrong on that! I know storage technology for electricity is limited; that's why investment is needed in its research to find options rather than, say, fracking? My perception is it's actually industry rather than governments that are pushing renewables as they see business opportunities but, as I say, that is a perception Obviously, another route is fossil fuels as a backup, preferably coupled with carbon capture. Nuclear is an option but development times and cost and time overruns are such that it's a long term one, and there's still the waste problem (but that's two, three or four generations away).Yes, gas is cheaper than electricity. Doesn't that raise the question that the way the market works and pays for supplies needs reviewing and doesn't mean those on fixed budgets can afford it if gas prices rise steeply.

Michael Ixer ● 577d

I don't recall anywhere seeing "the West" announce that sanctions would work quickly. Amongst the menu of options available to react to the invasion by Russia of an independent sovereign state, one was "do nothing". In the shorter term this would have had a better economic outcome for the west. In the longer term it would have been foolhardy.Where Russia had Europe over "a barrel" is not the use of fossil fuels per se - of which there are many suppliers - but the dependence upon gas from fixed pipelines. This dependency can be replaced by building pipelines to other places and by building LPG transshipment terminals. These actions take 2-3 years to achieve.I think that you are wrong in that these events HAVE spurred an interest in greater and faster investment in renewable technologies (they have also spurred an interest in delaying the closure of coal-fired power plant (here) and nuclear power plant (Germany)).I think you are also wrong in bemoaning the lack of investment in storage for renewable energy. Such technology does not exist. Beyond battery capacity to even out short term distribution grid fluctuations, there is nothing there to build. There aren't enough potential pumped storage sites to make a dent. The back-up for wind and solar energy when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine is fossil and nuclear fuel power plants. This isn't widely understood but its the case. Moreover, the price in the UK electricity market is set by marginal cost - thus every supplier receives the price bid by the last supplier to turn on their generator. Thus gas prices will continue to dictate the UK's electricity cost and whilst gas is expensive, so will electricity be (without government subsidy).Even at thiese high prices, for those of us using gas for heating and cooking, it remains far cheaper than electricity and effective and economic replacements for it are a long way off.

Michael Winstanley ● 577d