Forum Topic

There's a disturbing implicit, sometimes explicit, thread running through some of the comments here, to the effect that BAME people are somehow bringing the issue on themselves - and even one suggestion that some people deliberately see racism everywhere just so they can cause tensions. The reality is, of course, quite different: a recent report by the Fawcett Society which examines the experiences of thousands of women of colour at work and explores the different experiences of women from different ethnic minority groups and religions (https://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/broken-ladders). What they found is very disturbing, though hardly surprising: * Institutional racism is common in all sectors and in all organisations: 75% of women of colour have experienced racism at work, with 27% having suffered racial slurs;* Nearly two thirds said that they had been forced to change themselves to ‘fit-in’ at work (modifying language, hairstyles and even names);* Approaching half said their well-being had been affected;* A significant proportion said that their manager had blocked their progression at work (28%), or passed over for promotion despite good feedback (almost half);* Half had experienced discrimination at work (asked for information outside of normal monitoring processes, for example).Another example, one of all too many: a year-long study by the charity Birthrights found systemic racism in UK maternity care(https://www.birthrights.org.uk/campaigns-research/racial-injustice/).The idea that people are just making this up to annoy comfortable white people is both absurd and insulting.

Richard Carter ● 700d

Richard that is quite an old study but inline with many others.Perhaps a bit easier for me to read - but I find the briefing below more open regarding "Evidence gaps and limitations' and the distribution of the impact. But it does make some good points:"The wage effects of immigration are likely to be greatest for resident workers who are migrants themselves"It probably explains why Brexit got some unexpected support from those you would lease expect.Still although I disagree Richard - it does show it is possible to have different opinions on this subject. The subject was taboo not that many years ago and very nasty during Brexit.Can you image if a study did come out saying - as some HGV drivers said - that their wages were impacted? Politically I do not think it would have been allowed.I also find it odd that Labour, although quite rightly highlight the many positive of immigration seem to downplay the overall economic impact from increasing the size of the population.https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-labour-market-effects-of-immigration/One last point - professions and trades have been controlling the size for centuries of course nothing to do with supply and demand impacting living standards."Delegates at the annual BMA conference voted by a narrow majority to restrict the number of places at medical schools to avoid “overproduction of doctors with limited career opportunities.” They also agreed on a complete ban on opening new medical schools."https://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a748.full

Ed Robinson ● 711d

First of all no one was "stealing British jobs".A very sudden and large increase in the suply of labour meant that wages were driven down in certain sectors. Despite pre-Brexit reports suggesting otherwise I think that most sensible people agree that was the case.Some employers were also breaking the law by not paying the minimum wage others were recruiting directly from abroad without advertising locally or even nationally.All workers deserve the protection of the law. Sadly various governments choose not to enforce it.Workers sadly were not at the forefront of the political parties' minds on either side of the Brexit argument.The UK has always tended to increase immigration when wages rise as far as I'm aware. Neither party seems to want a highly paid workforce unfortunately, although the news suggests some sectors are seeing a recovery in wage levels since Brexit.All of the above is not the fault of workers who have emigrated here but of our political system.Raising racial tensions isn't unique to one party or one movement. In the commons recently a Conservative minister had to remind the Labour front bench MP that their language was unacceptable. As far as I know the Labour MP was not disciplined despite them repeating his odd thoughts in a tweet which he later deleted.I read recently that one family from Ukraine with relatives in the UK, decided to settle in Ireland and the UK relatives (a doctor I believe) moved to Ireland. Perhaps it was the UK red tape or Irish hospitality or both.One a less serious note from Ireland view we in Putney are Eastern Europeans:)

Ed Robinson ● 712d

Sue. I don't see how you can in any way blame those of us who didn't want Brexit for what's going wrong. We mostly predicted these issues which is why we didn't want to leave, but it's not under our control to create or alleviate problems caused  by Brexit. I'm not bitter, it doesn't affect me too much personally - other than Eurostar check-in taking an hour longer at St Pancras (why is it faster at the Gare du Nord?) - just sad about some things: like the way it's affected some friends' lives and Johnson's lies causing the impasse in Northern Ireland; why did he agree to the NI Protocol and say there'd be no border in the Irish Sea, was he drunk after all his parties?I've no reason to dispute the statistics Richard quotes which are from multiple sources; I'd say the general consensus seems to be the Brexit vote didn't increase the number of racists or xenophobes but just made those inclined that way believe it gave them "permission" to act and speak out with their unacceptable views - there's no logical link with what Remainers wanted or want in that; many of us believe in the next couple of decades we'll move back closer to the EU if not actually rejoin it. I'd certainly not say all Brexiteers are racists - I discussed Brexit with several colleagues who wanted to leave the EU as the wanted to get away from its regulation (financial services and GDPR). I still think they're wrong as we want equivalence in those areas so need to keep close to EU regulations and in any case mainly affect the professional elite! Although I think they wanted a lot "softer" Brexit than we ended up with. But those colleagues weren't racists or xenophobic as far as I'm aware (and I have worked with some who were).

Michael Ixer ● 712d