Forum Topic

Ivonne,it's not my field but my understanding is that the use of hydrocarbon fuels increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, that in turn restricts the amount of heat being reradiated that has been absorbed from the Sun - the "greenhouse effect" - leading to global warming; that is, an increase in average temperatures from the additional heat retained in the atmosphere. That increase in temperature results in climate change: melting of ice caps, glaciers, and changes in the jet stream which, in turn, increases sea levels and has an effect on local weather. That's simplistic as there are other greenhouse gases besides CO2, and weather varies anyway because of other factors, but what's important is the trend in the increase in CO2 and average global temperatures.Jane. Another factor is the the Sun and the amount of radiation received from it does affect weather. So a few years ago, given Corbyn's science background, some of us were prepared to listen to him as he did run a weather company (Weather Action) and although the CO2 theory was generally accepted sometimes in science mavericks are sidelined just for challenging the status quo (Galileo springs to mind). There were also some mainstream researchers unwilling to release their data for Corbyn to use and - if I remember correct - some of that data turned out to be incomplete, something they weren't too open about. Anyway, I've not seen anything that indicates any validity in Corbyn's alternative proposals whereas I've seen a number of convincing presentations for the accepted theory. In science one should always keep an open mind.I'm prepared to be corrected if my summaries are wrong, I'd admit they are superficial.

Michael Ixer ● 1325d