Forum Topic

Forgive me Sue, but the vitriol you keep posting about XR doesn't seem to be very well or deeply thought out. What is it you're so ruffled about? I might ask Barbara Stevens and a few others the same question. Are you aware that we're in a climate and ecological emergency (FACT)? And if you are, might that not be a good place to focus your rage, rather than petty details about a peaceful activist movement? Aside from the fact that it was a police road closure and not XR protestors that made the ambulance turn around, have you stopped for a moment to think about what XR protestors are actually protesting about, and how these issues link directly back to the perceived injustices you're railing about (in this instance, ambulances not being able to get where they need to go in the most timely fashion possible?).Among other things, XR is fighting for a reduction in vehicular traffic and therefore a reduction in congestion on the roads and in the air pollution that this causes. Unfortunately, a King's College study shows that road congestion in London means that ambulance speeds rarely exceed 14 mph*, which is very problematic.  How many people die on a daily basis waiting for ambulances that can't reach them in time due to heavy traffic on the roads? Now that would be an interesting data set to explore (and maybe to get angry about!), rather than going off the rails about one ambulance that needed to take a detour because of a police road block.Also, how many people who need ambulances in the first place need them because of conditions directly linked to air pollution? Stats show that nearly 9 500 people a year die prematurely in London because of air pollution. If we cleaned up the air, fewer ambulances would even be needed on the roads - wouldn't that be nice? All I'm saying is that there are plenty of things in the world to be angry about right now, and XR -  an intelligent and diverse movement of people fighting for the future of your children/grandchildren - certainly isn't one of them. *https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/london-ambulances-need-new-live-data-systems-to-beat-traffic-jams-in-emergencies-report-claims-a3875251.html**https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/15/nearly-9500-people-die-each-year-in-london-because-of-air-pollution-study

Brenna L ● 1320d