Forum Topic

Meals on Toast

I've been trying to build up a repertoire of things on toast as a light meal - preferably healthy - and I've tried to move our main meal (not enormous just bigger) to lunchtime so that we can go out for a walk afterwards.There are practical as well as health reasons for this.  I'm generally presented with a large loaf of brown bread each week (when we shopped more often we could get a small loaf - bread according to WRAP (www.wrap.org.uk) is one of the foods that is wasted most in the UK) and there's a limit to the amount of space in the freezer for frozen bread).  I have also been trying to reduce our own weight and the amount of food we waste for a long time.I'd started on this long before Covid 19 but since I haven't been to the shops since this all started for me it has definitely been Ready Steady Cook for every meal!  I think a lot of my cookery offerings are repetitive but my other half is happy so I guess I shouldn't worry too much.Apparently cheese on toast is many people's first choice.  My version is cheddar and studded with sliced tomatoes before it goes under the grill.  However I have tried to reduce the amount of cheese we eat as it is very fattening and moreish.  So I moved to poached eggs on toast as the store-cupboard meal of choice after coming back/before going out to the cinema/meetings etc. We have other favourites as we've increased the range.We've now both lost weight and we've also walked a couple of hundred miles.What are your go-to meals on toast? 

Philippa Bond ● 1366d34 Comments

I love baked beans with a poached egg on top on toast!I make a smoked mackerel and cottage cheese whizzed together 'pate' with lemon juice and black pepper and serve with thinly sliced lemon. I make a batch and freeze half of it.  I'll try smoked haddock and horseradish for a change (shopper dependent).I make a smashed avocado with some squeezed lime, a scattering of chilli flakes topped with a poached egg and few toasted pine nuts on top.  Alexander is yours smashed and similar?I've also done field mushrooms spiked with garlic and dotted with blue cheese and with some parsley when I've had it and with extra bread crumbled on top.I tried some complicated thing with smoked salmon where you put a slice of bread in a muffin tin and then some smoked salmon and break an egg into it. Disaster and too salty.  So if I do it again it will need changes!I've done scrambled egg on toast with smoked salmon and that was OK probably because I only put pepper in the scramble.Another favourite is steamed drained spinach on toast with a poached egg on top and a little bit of cheddar on top of that. I've also done mashed sardines in tomato sauce with chopped spring onions with cheese on top.  I don't like sardines very much at all so have to hide the extreme fishy taste.  If the sardines are plain I'll add tomato paste to make the same recipe.  I know we don't eat enough fish.I've not tried any different bread yet.  I haven't made bread for years but may yet get round to sour dough.  I remember having some and liking it but then it went brick hard and I broke a knife on it I was so determined to cut and eat it!Bread is only at its best when it is fresh and then I love a special bread with other food.  Toasted with something tasty on it and you can carry on eating past its fresh best!I still love marmite on toast...  when I'm absolutely desperately hungry or peanut butter and banana.     

Philippa Bond ● 1366d