Forum Topic

The nurse in our family BTW is not overweight - in fact on the slim side.I put on weight while I was caring.  I had never spent so much time sitting down before.  I was tired because I had to get up early in the morning to let the carer in and then was looking after someone who kept on dropping off to sleep eg after getting up and before lunch and then after lunch while I was awake and working and so he didn't want to go to sleep as early as me.  Something that had never occurred to me and I hadn't been prepared for. I got so I was almost too tired to walk around the block when the opportunity presented itself.  I also became very Vit D deficient.When I then tried to get fit again I tripped up on a moving paving stone in Oxford and fell flat.  Nothing obviously broken but it took a long time - and there was something like a 5 month waiting physio list - to get walking properly again.  Two or three other people had fallen in the same place on the same day and one had to have stitches.  I went back with a smartphone user to photograph the paving and upload it to the www.fixmystreet.com website.  That is where I learnt about the other people who'd fallen right in front of the pancake man's van.  It wasn't cars riding over the pavement there that time that had caused the problem but builders dealing with utilities outside a shop that was being refurbished.  The pavement had not been reinstated properly.  I was lucky - not everybody gets up and walks or limps away from a fall like that.I really agree about the problem of scaling down portions.  Once you've overeaten you are also less likely to want to take any home.

Philippa Bond ● 1367d

I hope all hospitals have good and secure bicycle parking.  Everyone needs to know that they will be able to get home!  Otherwise they will either drive or get picked up by a partner especially when working late at night.I know that the nurse in our family does not have time to eat properly while in hospital.  Despite having canteens I think it is very time consuming taking time to go and get something.  This is a problem for them with patients who missed meals as well. Food is taken but is often eaten hours later before coming home. I know that in my visits canteens have been full of meals with chips.  The healthy option has always been baked potato - which is the same for patients - baked potato with beans or with cheese or with tuna.  No salad cream.  Finely chopped salad in a plastic box which the patients can't open just like they can't open the sandwiches in boxes.  Nobody except the nurses with scissors can open any salad cream or ketchup packets. There is a limit to the number of baked potatoes you can eat in a week except in hospital it seems!  Just not very appetising.I suppose there is an argument that if the food is too good then people won't want to leave but on the other hand if it is good for you then you will get better sooner.  There tends to be a lot of food waste.I remember that there was even one hospital who had rented out part of their ground floor to a burger company.  I completely agree about the availability of sugary fizzy drinks. If you haven't eaten you will be super tempted. Now that so many of us have our own refillable water bottles it is easier for us to take our own water.https://refill.org.uk/water-refill-and-covid-guidance/  

Philippa Bond ● 1368d

I cannot remember seeing many people overweight in the hospitals I have been to, neither did I see many overweight people at a care home where a dear neighbour of ours was at. But, overweight people there are everywhere (including our PM and other influential people) and am not too sure why NHS staff have been singled out particularly.   But it is true that low earnings, as in the case of the lower echelons in the NHS, are highly relevant to this problem, as are the addictive sugar, salt and fat. Just look at USA and the food there is laced with sugar, maple syrup and golden syrup together with a very high content of fat and salt. I still have a clear picture of a programme Michel Roux was presenting and one of the guests indicated if you have £0.30 to spend, a packet of biscuits would fill you up while an apple would not.  It is also true that, if you are hungry, food at sandwich shops (even hospital canteens) will start at £3.99 while at McDonald, full of fat and sugar, start at £1.99.   Understanding food starts at home and school curricula should help.  Lack of interest in cooking is one problem and lack of time is just as important. But lack of money is fundamental.  A nurse I met once told me some 15 years ago that feeding a family of 4 on £0.50 a day was not easy, so they eat lots of potatoes and pasta, of course, with butter and cheese. And I agree with Elizabeth, during rationing people were really slim.  Perhaps we should revisit the recipes created at that time.  It would be interesting to see how much they would cost.  But, as far as I am concerned, porridge is off! 

Ivonne Holliday ● 1368d

The hours that some people work eg the overworked nurses and doctors in an understaffed NHS where they don't get the breaks they are supposed to get and work much longer hours than their shifts and then return home after 12 hour shifts that have stretched to 14 by the time they are home don't make it easy.It is good (or was) to see many surgeries promoting their local Park Run. It is no surprise that they end up needing quick and fast calories and grabbing unhealthy food. It tends to take more time to find a healthy alternative and there is a limit to the number of bananas, apples and satsumas you can eat.With restaurants I've always found it difficult to find ones which offer smaller portions.  There is a big problem that some people rate restaurants by the amount of food they get rather than the quality of the food.  Should restaurants change to offering smaller portions you can bet that there will be negative loud social media comment from the noisy few.  I love going somewhere where you can have a choice of size of portion  eg a small medium or large cooked breakfast and wish it was easier for other restaurants to do this sort of thing.  It is so good to be able to eat a whole meal ie starter main and pudding and still be able to run for the bus (if you want to)!  We need to be less British and speak up and ask for something else healthier instead of the double carbohydrates in a meal or just the one (and not double the amount)  and also a container to take the remainder of a meal home rather than wasting it. I was listening to someone today saying what a lot more trouble it would be for restaurants to put the calories of meals beside the options on the menu.  At least they should be able to star the healthiest options.  It is a great shame that food management and food technology has been missing from the curriculum for so long.

Philippa Bond ● 1368d